I was holding off on an update till I had the whole thing in primer but, Im too excited about how well the canopies are matching up [D] Front to back there’s no gap and the edges are all parallel. Just some feathering of the bottom edge to the fuselage and these will be good. Going to spend more time on the cockpit this weekend seeing as these are so clear and straight!

E83A01A0-6A3A-4A4D-9018-FA592FC72DA1-XL.

Those are dzus fasteners from Archer Fine Transfers. The bottom is all dolled up with their rivets and hinges. I used quite a few panels too because they were so much easier than trying to scribe all those parallel lines, gotta love it when we can hit the easy button!

Thanks Håkan and Fvdm! Appreciate you guys hanging out for the build.

Feels like I've hit a milestone this weekend. No, haven't got it all in primer yet :whistle:  I do have all the major parts assembled though. It looks like a T-38 now. It took me a hair over 2 weeks just to do all the scribing, rivets, hinges, fasteners, and fittings for this beauty. Wow that was a long time with no reason to post updates of 10 more rivets tonight, if you know what I mean. The posts are good to keep the mojo going on a long build like this tho. So let me show you what I've accomplished...

Extra tubing and wiring on the seats and rear console. Added the Y-harnes from the seat to the pilot (this is in addition to the harness that holds his chute on in this style seat).

IMG_5156-XL.jpg

Painted up his Thunderbirds helmet and detailed out the canopy a little. You can't see it in any of the pictures but the KittyHawk canopies are made in the weirdest fashion. They aren't round. You can kinda get that impression by the distortion you see looking through them. They are actually a series of flat sections connected together, think of it like a stop sign but with about 16 sides to it. No amount of work gets rid of it either and you can see it clearly in person.

IMG_5161-L.jpg

Glued on the wings and tail. Feathered in the tail and the canopies so far. Will do the wings tomorrow after they dry overnight.

IMG_5170-L.jpg

Here's all the Archer Fine Transfers I alluded to the other day.

IMG_5171-X2.jpg

And finally a frontal assault. 

IMG_5172-L.jpg

Lots of little things to do this week. I am really confident next weekend will be full primer! Thanks for doing a fly-by :piliot:

Edited by themongoose
added comment about canopies

Thanks guys, this is really going to be an accomplishment to finish, will definitely not rush it.

Checksix can you believe i handpainted that Helmet! I wasted 2 sheets of decal paper trying to print the scan i have from the Thunderbirds decals in my F-16 kit with no joy. Gave up and got out the Vallejo Game Color set for miniatures. The paint is much thicker so I figured the red wouldn’t show thru it. 

Brian, you know you’re right! guess I gotta take one for the team to get a new release :yahoo:

You guys are gonna love this. I know it’s my favorite part of modeling. To keep from starting on the wings too early after filling the seam I started on the exhaust nozzles. 

Now here’s what I had to start with

IMG_5183-X2.png

Here’s what it needs to look like 

IMG_4815-XL.jpg

now off I went to wander through stores to see what I could find...at Walmart I picked up these...

IMG_5178-XL.jpg

with a little AKInteractive brown wash and some Vallejo burnt umber and desert dust pigment this is what I created!

IMG_5177-XL.jpg

I’m still working on the flame holders up in the nozzle. Going to try spraying some clear blue and red in there to finish off the in-flight look of full throttle. 

Edited by themongoose
Typo