HPH Me 410 A1/U4

Dukie99

For this anniversary GB, I will attempt to build a Me 410 A1/U4. The plan is to use the HPH Me 410 A1 to build a Viermot killer fitted with a 5cm Bordkannon. I have pretty decent reference materials so I will attempt to scratchbuild the entire BK5 and fit it within the bomb bay. As with every HPH kit, all you need is already in the box but for the BK5 I will use the Schatton modelbau brass barrel and ammo rounds, which are absolutely gorgeous. I have done some prep work, the most important one being going through Wouter's Me 410 build several times, this will be an invaluable help for this build. I am not expecting a ton of progress until February as I need to finish my F-15Ra'am for the Desert GB, but I have already made a dent on cockpit. Some pics:

Kit box

i-Mxp97q9-L.jpg

Schatton modelbau BK5 Barrel and ammo:

i-xvrNcCc-L.jpg

Reference materials:

i-ZK5ptn8-L.jpg

i-L4qhKr4-L.jpg

i-nphwwtN-L.jpg

What I am aiming for:

i-pnFxFd2-M.jpg

i-wKK3HSG-L.jpg

i-2Cz45Cr-L.jpg

Cockpit parts prepared for primer

i-njGNmVM-L.jpg

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

This will be another classic from you I'm sure David, looking forward to seeing your progress. I saw the 410 that Dave (Phartycroc) mentioned at Cosford when on my way home from Telford, very interesting looking plane but not easy to fly according to Winkle Brown, even more so with that whacking great cannon slung underneath I imagine! 

Edited by mozart

On 1/1/2019 at 7:16 PM, Phartycr0c said:

Great beginnings David,  

For your information, if you need any photos of the 410 dring the build, we have one available just up the road in the Cosford Museum. 

Thank you for the offer. I have the WWP publication with a very complete walk around of the Cosford museum Me 410, highly necessary reference given the fact that HPH instructions are rather vague.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:17 AM, Rick Griewski said:

Yeah, another 410 build.  I have the kit too so I will be watching and learning.  Be sure to intermix frequent breaks for a beer or scotch while sanding and cleaning up all the parts.

Do you plan to show an open weapons bay?

Rick

I plan to scratch build the BK5 and leave the bay open. My understanding is that with the BK5 mod, the Me 410 was not retaining the usual opening mechanism of the bomb bay but the two doors were screwed or riveted together and the whole thing was coming out as a unit when it was time to load or service the gun as shown in the picture above. I will cut the two doors, glue them together and I will look into embedding some tiny magnets in the door so I can show the bomb bay or close it at will.

I made some good progress but this kit is not a run in the park, every little piece needs to be cleaned up and you need to be careful doing that as some parts are actually pretty fragile. A set of micro and pico saw from Radu are an absolute necessity. I have started sanding the fuselage. As was noted by Wouter in his build, you need to remove about a millimeter on each side of the fuselage (and more at the tail) otherwise the tail and the cockpit glass will not fit. I am in the middle of doing that but it takes time and it cannot be a rush job, plus it's bloody cold outside so the resin sanding sessions are always short...

I am 90% done with the pilot cockpit and 60% done with the radio operator / gunner. I have chosen not to use the HPH/eduard colored etch for the cockpit as it is in a strange shade of blue which does not match the RLM66. I have used the resin pieces as they have pretty good details and used airscale dials and placards plus some careful painting with acrylics. I have cut a few items from the eduard photoetch when I could use them. All in all I am pretty happy with how it looks. On the pics below everything has been gloss coated in anticipation of some light weathering. I still need to add all the levers but will do that when I am ready to install the cockpit in the fuselage to avoid breaking them. 

i-HbWtbh3-L.jpg

i-qTWwbfD-L.jpg

i-DqJdxCt-L.jpg

i-W8BLKVS-L.jpg

i-3vcG3fK-L.jpg

As was the case for Wouter's build, you only have one half of the control stick in the box, the top half is missing. I followed Wouter's path by carving the top half from a piece of sprue and added bits and bobs, I still need to add some wires but you get the idea, should look better under paint:

i-DkDM4C8-L.jpg

That's all for now. It is amazing to see all these ambitious builds going on at the same time, highly motivational.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Dukie99

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind words. I made some more progress: installed the cockpit and radio operator compartment. It’s a very deceptive kit: it looks like it is going to be an easy fit but actually the main components do not fit at all without careful sanding. I was forwarned by Wouter’s build  but it not expect it to be so difficult. 

i-wrhLZkF-L.jpg

i-26MfMch-L.jpg

i-Z769r48-L.jpg

Since these pictures I have managed to close the fuselage. I need now to clean up the seam and rescribed the lost details. More pics this week-end.

Cheers,

David