Hong Kong Models B-25J bomber 'Peggy Lou'

Thomas Lund

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sooo... since last time, I've been sorting seams on the fuselage - quite a task - and rescribing and riveting. I've painted the wings first time

arMrrxy.jpg

I've been working on the nose interior

ID7fUE7.jpg

mi1VWpp.jpg

BUT... picking up the clear part frame, I notice this... a nasty crack in the top nose clear part - dont know when it happened. I guess that effectively ends the group build for me - at least I wont be able to make it within the deadline... Pretty devastated over it. Will try to fix and try to get a new one from HK (is that possible?)... I think I need a beer

KhNwByP.jpg

Just talked to HKM, they will sell me a new frame for a very reasonable amount. Super customer service !!!! Way to go HKM.

Only thing is that it wont be made 'till mid december. But as my friend said - finish with a glass piece fitted with white glue and replace once you get the replacement. Will do

Great progress Thomas, you reached the same point I did when i built mine, i.e detailing the inside you reached the "Iv'e had enough" stage. In my case it was almost a mojo killer.

From that point on I decided i will work out what can and can't be seen on any given build before i get stuck in and not bothering with that which cant be seen. 

Keep up the great work 

There is always the possibility of the crack being the result of conflict and requiring a field repair.  After all, if you are going to get a new canopy you have no reason not to experiment with what a shell or ack-ack fragment might have done to the one you have.Plexiglas (Lucite, Perspex?) repair on a big plane, assuming a repair did not challenge airworthiness would be to drill small hole at end of crack so it wouldn't get longer.  We had a repair like this on one of the planes I flew 30 years ago. I can't remember which one or where the crack was, but inspector said it was ok until next annual inspection when we would have to replace that panel.

Edited by j ferguson
coping with failing memory

• 2 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 3:21 AM, Thomas Lund said:

Just talked to HKM, they will sell me a new frame for a very reasonable amount. Super customer service !!!! Way to go HKM.

Only thing is that it wont be made 'till mid december. But as my friend said - finish with a glass piece fitted with white glue and replace once you get the replacement. Will do

who did you talk to at HK ? I need a new waist gunner window for my B-17