Hong Kong Models B-25J bomber 'Peggy Lou'

Thomas Lund

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - finally got a little done yesterday. Focusing on putting in all the PE that needs priming and painting. Perhaps a bit hard to see, but a lot of work here.

Also washed the engines. Still need some flat varnish and attachement of exhausts that I left off since I suppose they are best weathered alone.

I can see from the other B-25 threads that the prop is no good, so that will be something more I need to get along with some master barrels. But I am still torn with regards to the gear legs... I think the legs seem sturdy, at least the main legs. Kent said he drilled it out (how far down ??) and I am summoning the courage to do that... I am not a big fan of those metal legs since I think they often look worse than the kit parts. Still thinking

EforABp.jpg

MaXnkcu.jpg

6XRIrln.jpg

25 minutes ago, Thomas Lund said:

And by the way - is there no way around fitting the gear legs so early ???

Unfortunately there isn't any way around it. The legs themselves are a very solid mounting so I don't think it's a concern about breakage. 

With the nose gear though, watch out for the retraction strut. I've broken one in half with all the handling. 

Carl

4 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

And by the way - is there no way around fitting the gear legs so early ???

Nice engines Thomas!

I hollowed the landing gear with a drill and added a brass rod to reinforce them.

This operation wasn't that difficult and there were never any issues afterwards. The landing gear became much more stable.

The finished model becomes quite heavy with the necessary nose weight added.

Happy modelling: Kent

On 1/26/2019 at 8:35 AM, BloorwestSiR said:

Unfortunately there isn't any way around it. The legs themselves are a very solid mounting so I don't think it's a concern about breakage. 

With the nose gear though, watch out for the retraction strut. I've broken one in half with all the handling. 

Carl

Great work all around Thomas, looks like you’re proceeding the same way as I am, engines first then interior bits. 

I had the same curiosity about fitting the gear so early; thanks for the intel Carl. Another reason I opted for the brass gear. They really are not bad Thomas, the detail is maybe a little “softer” around the edges, but as I’ve said elsewhere with such a large model I’m not taking chances. So if your drilling operation goes awry I have plastic spares for you. 

Jimbo

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

It's been a while - I have been doing WAY too much company related travel. On the positive side I've gotten my own man-cave so what ever spare time has mostly been spent sorting that out.

A little has been done on the Mitchell. Still more PE bent and assembled, ready for paint.

G66MDQA.jpg

However... I was looking for info on some colors on the ammo boxes when I stumbled over Kents Catch 22 Mitchell here on LSP... it made me realize how much was missing inside, and then I just had to add some detail that I fear would be visible if missing... quite a big task... I guess I'm about halfway

RlUxvSF.jpg

Wow looks amazing Thomas, great detail you’ve added there. I enjoy working with strip styrene and think I’ll do likewise. Congratulations on the man-cave, it’s goid to have a place of your own!

Jimbo