Aeromarine 75/Curtiss F-5-L (Finished)

kkarlsen

19 hours ago, Jan_G said:

outstanding work Kent! wow, and what a beautiful plane

your work is really inspiring!

jan

Thank you Jan! I wouldn't go as far as 'beautiful', perhaps 'charismatic'? But I like the 'roaring twenties' vibe...

Cheers: Kent

17 hours ago, Wouter said:

Totally missed this one so far, but not anymore. What a build / conversion. I'm actually speechless. Keep m coming Kent!

Thanks Wouter, appreciate it. It's definitely something else than the Arado's...

8 minutes ago, kkarlsen said:

Hmm machine? More like my own 'contraption' but it does what it is supposed to....

I'd love to see it. I built a small "contraption" myself, years ago, but it needs improvement,

I believe you can buy inexpensive vac forming machines off ebay.  Must have a look.  A friend and I built our own one and it was wonderful to have.  But he has shifted overseas and I miss not having one to use.  Must look for another.

Kent I am looking at a similar conversion to your DH.9 passenger conversion as well.  In fact it looks like it is configured very much the same shape and cockpit position wise.  A member here is working on some CAD for it as we speak....I'll keep you posted

2 hours ago, BiggTim said:

I'd love to see it. I built a small "contraption" myself, years ago, but it needs improvement,

Since you are persistent, here is my 'contraption' - Quite embarrassing I know.

7698-240119201320-146152140.jpeg

Duct Tape Version 2.0

7698-240119201320-14635370.jpeg

Plywood frame for the polystyrene sheet... I'm pretty sure you can do better than this.

21 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

It may not be pretty, but it's definitely functional from what I'm seeing in this build. Between you, me, and anyone reading this, I was hoping it was bedazzled... 

Nope, the end justifies the means... :rolleyes:

The last couple of days I've been working on the interior wood.

The task is to imitate the mahogany interior panels...

BdGfpD2.jpg

I haven't done wood grain on a larger scale before. I had the idea of using Radu's stencils to give the large interior surfaces a basic wooden structure with acrylics.

Xrndpkc.jpg

When dry, I continued with three different shades of oil colors...

z27u8g9.jpg

With this technique it does not take long before all the interior walls had become 'wooden'.

2ttTUSk.jpg

6C7SQqB.jpg

zs1j23j.jpg

MlLo2Zn.jpg

The famous blue carpets of the Aeromarine's was done using several blue grey 'mixtures'.

DYZMmOA.jpg

Masking tape is off...

ceqruSo.jpg

I think it resembles a wooden 'cigar box' a bit,  but I'm quite happy with the result.

Edited by kkarlsen