Aeromarine 75/Curtiss F-5-L (Finished)

kkarlsen

Oh this is going to be awesome! I've been planning similar with the early Felix, converting to "Big Fish", the Curtiss H16 airliner. An involved project, but nothing near the extent of what you're doing. What are you going to use for the passenger seats - something readily available or scratchbuild?

4 hours ago, Simmo.b said:

Great project.

Would you consider some kind of spar to ensure your wings don't droop?

Even the regular Felix could use one.

Would compromise interior detail but man that's a big wingspan!

Thank you. Do you know why the wings are sagging? I mean the wings of the real Aeroplane didn't right?

LY40tmu.jpg

Its not like I'm having a lot of experience in rigging biplanes, however I noticed how sturdy the S.e.5a's became after rigging it with fishing line...

I would like to know if it is possible to avoid this by using monofilament fishing line for rigging?

Any insight into this would be very much appreciated...

Cheers: Kent

8 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Oh this is going to be awesome! I've been planning similar with the early Felix, converting to "Big Fish", the Curtiss H16 airliner. An involved project, but nothing near the extent of what you're doing. What are you going to use for the passenger seats - something readily available or scratchbuild?

Well I'm intending to experiment with the possibility to imitate wicker weaving, using some kind of wire.

Let's see how that goes... ;) 

I think it's a case of the plastic struts not being able to bear the weight of the top wing, the struts under the lower wing are under huge strain, thats why the outrigger trestles are essential.

Mono rigging may help (I used ezi-line) but I would consider inserting piano wire into the lower struts. Problem is that due to the nature of the interior a longitudinal spar is impractical  but having said that, if I were to do another I would probably insert a spar and sacrifice internal detail that can't be seen anyway

7 hours ago, Simmo.b said:

I think it's a case of the plastic struts not being able to bear the weight of the top wing, the struts under the lower wing are under huge strain, thats why the outrigger trestles are essential.

Mono rigging may help (I used ezi-line) but I would consider inserting piano wire into the lower struts. Problem is that due to the nature of the interior a longitudinal spar is impractical  but having said that, if I were to do another I would probably insert a spar and sacrifice internal detail that can't be seen anyway

As I will have to make other struts anyway, I could make them with some kind of brass or steel core.

How far do you think a spar would have to protrude from the fuselage to do the job?

6 minutes ago, Simmo.b said:

As far as length of spar goes I would make it as long as I could drill a straight hole, the longer the better, replacing key struts with brass or bronze items would be a great idea especially the struts that go from the hull to the lower wings

Funny you mention this, I was actually thinking about brass struts this morning for the fuselage - to- lower wing ones. Would additional struts need the strength as well?

Wonder if we could convince one of the brass landing gear manufacturers to make this into a set for us Felixstowe builders

16 hours ago, Simmo.b said:

As far as length of spar goes I would make it as long as I could drill a straight hole, the longer the better, replacing key struts with brass or bronze items would be a great idea especially the struts that go from the hull to the lower wings

'from the hull to the lower wings' - Sorry but could you mark the most stressed struts out a photo somehow please? 

Took the 'plunge' this morning - Butterflies in my stomach though...

MdENr0f.jpg

Cutting up this beautiful model - Wasn't easy...

V0nGg2L.jpg

1 foot or  ca.10 mm's will be added to the wings + 10 mm's to the forward section and 10 mm's to the rear section. Makes 30 mm's in total. The F-5-L was 3 feet longer.

I really hope I got it right, cutting it in the right places. Guess we'll see...

kJ5PQsE.jpg

It's really a sorry sight though, no way back now, that's for sure - Time to start putting things back together again...

I'm thinking the best way would be to put it together as two fuselage halves and working on the interior from there, abandoning the 'box' idea a had initially?

2 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

'from the hull to the lower wings' - Sorry but could you mark the most stressed struts out a photo somehow please? 

There are 4 struts (2 each side) that support the lower wing, they run from the hull (fusalage) to under the lower wing.

They support the lower wings as opposed to struts that support the top wing to the lower wing.

Hth

Brent