Aeromarine 75/Curtiss F-5-L (Finished)

kkarlsen

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

what rigging line did you use?

That is a very good question Andy. I have tried almost every kind of 'easy' rigging thread there is, EZ-ine, Uschi, Modelkasten, Infinity.

I seem to have difficulties using these products, as they are very difficult to thread through the small  brass tubing.

So I returned to using monofilament (what I used on the S.e.5a builds). I found the recipe of late Des Delatorre and ordered some of the fishing line he used.

"For years I have been using Maxima Chameleon 2lbs 0.12mm monofilament for my rigging. It is a very strong line, extremely flexible, CA adheres well and it doubles through the turnbuckles quite easily, the brownish colour is very good as is but I always paint my rigging with Mr Metal Color Stainless. This is my preferred choice of fishing line for rigging in 1:32 scale." (Des)

The description by Des is quite accurate to what I experienced using Maxima monofilament, it's really the first time I've 'enjoyed' rigging (I never though I would)

So I'm forever grateful to Des for this tip. Now I do not have to fear the rigging no more!

The greatest advantage of using fishing line, is the tremendous strength it adds to the wings, it really  works like the real thing.

Cheers: Kent

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

Well, now we know! She's an absolute beauty Kent

Thank you Richard, that's mighty kind of you!

In fact I'm experiencing some kind of 'Limbo' or 'vacuum' after finishing this one.

I have been so immersed in this build, focusing only on solving the next problem...

Now I can't quite believe that I'm finished and I'm really not sure were to go next?

37 minutes ago, kkarlsen said:

That is a very good question Andy. I have tried almost every kind of 'easy' rigging thread there is, EZ-ine, Uschi, Modelkasten, Infinity.

I seem to have difficulties using these products, as they are very difficult to thread through the small  brass tubing.

So I returned to using monofilament (what I used on the S.e.5a builds). I found the recipe of late Des Delatorre and ordered some of the fishing line he used.

"For years I have been using Maxima Chameleon 2lbs 0.12mm monofilament for my rigging. It is a very strong line, extremely flexible, CA adheres well and it doubles through the turnbuckles quite easily, the brownish colour is very good as is but I always paint my rigging with Mr Metal Color Stainless. This is my preferred choice of fishing line for rigging in 1:32 scale." (Des)

The description by Des is quite accurate to what I experienced using Maxima monofilament, it's really the first time I've 'enjoyed' rigging (I never though I would)

So I'm forever grateful to Des for this tip. Now I do not have to fear the rigging no more!

The greatest advantage of using fishing line, is the tremendous strength it adds to the wings, it really  works like the real thing.

Very interesting comments Kent, I have always struggled with Ez Line etc and never been really happy with the finished article with visible twists always there.

I too found Des's favourite fishing line and I'm super impressed. The first build I used it on was a Fokker E.I and even with the lower wing loosely rigged the structure of the whole thing was so good.

Regards. Andy 

Quite wonderful work Kent - Fearless stuff!!! So much skill on display here and I for one have really enjoyed watching you bringing this one together and learning a trick or three along the way.

Very much looking forward to the the next project that you tackle.

God Jul

Torben

4 hours ago, TorbenD said:

Very much looking forward to the the next project that you tackle.

Tusind tak for det Torben! ;)

I'm really not sure what to do next Torben, 'there are so many' projects, I still want to do. WWI, Golden Age, WWII, scratched or not scratched... too many options.

Maybe I should just wait for someone to put up the next deadline... That usually helps me to decide.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday the Wingnut Wings Fans 10 year Anniversary group build was decided...

q8I11Bh.jpg

I'm very thankful to Wingnut Wings for picking my 'Aeromarine' entry, there were so many wonderful builds participating.

"Everyone really loved looking through the entries and it was very (very) difficult to choose our top three.
Not everyone agreed with other peoples choices but I think in the end we all agreed that these are very worthy entries.
The top 5 models were very close indeed with the exception of the amazing Aeromarine conversion which almost unanimously everyone's 1st place choice.

A BIG thank you! to Richard Alexander and Wingnut Wings for this recognition of  my work!