Aeromarine 75/Curtiss F-5-L (Finished)

kkarlsen

Decided to work on the porthole glass, inserting these between the outer hull and the interior paneling...

KRdYFeQ.jpg

vi5m3Az.jpg

Next up, is beginning to piece the fuselage halves together again...

3oeQNjc.jpg

It went pretty smooth I must say, just had to keep an eye on the different 'lines' of the hull, trying to line up everything correctly.

Resembles 'Frankensteins monster'  a bit, patchwork of main parts...

nAsM2Al.jpg

Dryfitting the bulkheads...

dvHQRKu.jpg

l8PR3eg.jpg

The front passenger cabin with room for 6 passengers...

I'm happy this is over with, now I have to clean up everything, I hope I will be able to disguise the 'patchwork'.

Cheers: Kent

1 hour ago, Trak-Tor said:

Amazing!

Do you have any limits, Kent?

:thumbsup:

Juraj

I think I'm gonna have my hands full with the wing conversion, that's the part I'm grueling the most... :hmmm:

Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

You do like a challenge don't you Kent? 

What a project, The work going on here thus far is outstanding. Im sure youl figure the conversion out successfully. 

Are you intending doing another cutaway build i.e fully detail the interior and show off the wood panels, or will it be a fully sealed build? 

8 hours ago, Phartycr0c said:

You do like a challenge don't you Kent? 

What a project, The work going on here thus far is outstanding. Im sure youl figure the conversion out successfully. 

Are you intending doing another cutaway build i.e fully detail the interior and show off the wood panels, or will it be a fully sealed build? 

He, he thanks Dave. You know me almost better than myself! No cutaway this time, but I will try to make the roof of the passenger cabin(s) removable.

Only if the massive rigging allows for it, I haven't checked that yet... I'm a sucker for mahogany panels.

:beer:... Kent

I received a nice thick envelope in the mail today. It was from the the Archive Division of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

Some time ago I asked them if they had any material relating to the Aeromarine 75 Flying Boats of the 'West Indies Airways'.

I didn't get any response via mail, so I figured the were busy or didn't have anything.

So it was nice to get these documents from 1920, regarding the conversion of the US Navy F5L's into Aeromarine Airliners .

gxTcgBG.jpg

Among the papers are some very detailed descriptions of what was changed, additional equipment, escape hatches and the like...

Even descriptions of the layout of seats and materials used for the interior conversion... NICE!

Thank you Smithsonian!!! This is just great stuff...

Cheers: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

This is such an amazing build Kent! And to have such great cooperation from the Smithsonian. Very nice...

Surely I am not the first to notice the little vent detail at the top of the interior bulkhead, or the other detail already incorporated into this amazing conversion. Thanks for sharing!

Jimbo