1:24 P-47 Razorback

LSP_K2

2 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Nice! I know this ones going to be huge.

Oh yes, quite large, but that's why I love it so. A big Thunderbolt, loaded with bazooka tubes and bombs, will really look cool (I hope).

1 hour ago, zerosystem said:

Those are part of it, but the other is the engineering for what looked like "moveable" gear.  Other parts just seemed like they weren't engineered enough or were just left unfinished like the tail wheel mounting.  Everything else seemed to go back to the original VFS kit. 

Most of the engine accessory compartment can be left out but trying to mount the engine in in the rings and then attach the cowling was a frustrating process.

I apologize for the low light in the shots. One of these days I'll get some good photos submitted for the gallery.

Yep, I'm already thinking that my grinder and lots of epoxy may be involved to make it all work out right.

Yours looks quite nice to me.

The bombs (assuming that I actually use them) have some ejector pin marks on the fins (which are way too thick) that need to be removed before assembly. I'm not real sure, but these look pretty large to me, perhaps one thousand pounders. I really have no idea.

pR22F5.jpg

14otXO.jpg

Not relating to this model as such, though quite interesting (at least to me), was the bit that I read in this Squadron/Signal book on the Lexington, referring to the shipping bands on the bombs as a device to increase shrapnel effect. This, of course, is nowhere near the truth. Anyway, I found it rather amusing.

XHTzXE.jpg

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

Thats funny!  Weren't the rolling bands made of wood anyway?   I doubt they would do much other than disintegrate. 

As far as I'm aware, they were large rubber strips, secured in place with metal straps. As many photos as I have of them so configured on the ground, I've never seen a photo of them actually installed on an aircraft that way,... ever.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

I don't think the bands would allow the bomb to hook to the pylons, unless they used an extension, and the how would they stabilize it?

BTW, Kev, have you figured a scheme yet? I have the Zotz sheet and only will use one scheme...

It's rather odd, even though I know the bands were always removed before attaching the bombs to the aircraft, I really have no idea what they were actually for, just that they were used during shipping of the bombs. As to the Zotz sheet (24002, I assume), I might be able to use some parts, not real sure yet. What scheme from the sheet have you chosen?

On 1/1/2019 at 12:36 PM, zerosystem said:

Watch out for the landing gear and engine alignment aspects. 

Interesting that you mention that. The instructions would have me add the main gear after the wings are assembled, but the gear needs to be trapped between the two halves first, if one follows the design of the parts vs the instructions. Either way, there's no chance I'd ever install the gear this early, so they'll just need to be epoxied in after the fact. Also, the main gear doors, especially the lower ones, are just poor facsimiles of the real deal, so I'll probably take a stab at correcting those when the time comes.

Not that I'm a Squadron/Signal book expert, as I most certainly am not, but I do find it interesting that they've done at least seven different books dedicated to the Thunderbolt, perhaps a record for most books of the same subject.

4 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

It's rather odd, even though I know the bands were always removed before attaching the bombs to the aircraft, I really have no idea what they were actually for, just that they were used during shipping of the bombs. As to the Zotz sheet (24002, I assume), I might be able to use some parts, not real sure yet. What scheme from the sheet have you chosen?

Actually, 24001, "Silverscreen Jugs." That is the one for razorbacks. I was going to keep "Raid Hot Mama."

I think you should do "Snafu" with the black and white checkers on the cowl.

248500-16133-59-pristine.jpg

4 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

It also allows them to be rolled around by the ground crews.

14 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

Actually, 24001, "Silverscreen Jugs." That is the one for razorbacks. I was going to keep "Raid Hot Mama."

I think you should do "Snafu" with the black and white checkers on the cowl.

Interesting; Sprue refers to this same sheet as 24002. Either way, yes, "Snafu" would be awesome. I really like the combination of checkered cowl, partial invasion stripes and a few kill marks to boot. If you can part with them, I'd love to have them.

12 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

It also allows them to be rolled around by the ground crews.

Yes, if the fins extend beyond the body diameter (and I believe they frequently did), that would certainly have helped a lot. There are, of course, lifting lugs on most of the bombs as well, so rolling them around would be easier in that regard too. In fact, they may well have been positioned to protect those lugs. Interesting stuff.