Dragon BF 110 C-7

BloorwestSiR

I don't have any definitive drawings or documentation to prove it Carl, but it's my belief from looking at hundreds of Bf110 photographs over the years that those three holes in the nacelles ARE simply holes, so on the outboard side the holes are still there. The "glazing" provided by Dragon is their attempt to replicate the glass gauge faces in my mind. Could be wrong though! 

I like your approach with building your 110 and I'm very much with you in getting paint down as early as possible when access is easy. An unusual scheme but very well applied. Looking forward to further updates, and your cat's as persistent as ours by the looks of it. :) 

I need to correct part of my statement.

While researching rear O2 routings today, I paid attention to the cowl gauges. I stumbled across a pic of the inside of the cowling which shows that the round ports were flush glazed from the inside. This appears to have been problematic as some are shown missing even on the same cowl!

I found pics of cowls with no glazing, 1 of the 3 missing, all 3 intact etc.

This "may" have been why on the G's they went to the single pane glazing.

13 hours ago, Shawn M said:

I need to correct part of my statement.

While researching rear O2 routings today, I paid attention to the cowl gauges. I stumbled across a pic of the inside of the cowling which shows that the round ports were flush glazed from the inside. This appears to have been problematic as some are shown missing even on the same cowl!

I found pics of cowls with no glazing, 1 of the 3 missing, all 3 intact etc.

This "may" have been why on the G's they went to the single pane glazing.

That explains why in some photographs the "openings" appear slightly translucent whereas in others they are more opaque.  I can't image in practical terms that there would be any benefit in having the openings glazed, just another layer to get scratched, dirty or whatever to obscure the pilot's view of his gauges.

Thanks Max and Shawn! I took a look at the fee pics I have of the 110 and I have to come to the same conclusion that they were sometimes there and sometimes not.  I can see a reflection or at least a contrast in colour which would to me indicate a reflection in some pics, nothing but a void in others  showing no glass and in a few, they're painted over like I've done. 

So I'm going to leave them alone for now. I might do them differently on one of the other kits in my stash to mix it up.

Carl

It was a busy weekend with family activities but I got a bit done at the bench. I got the primary camo done on the wings. 

IMG_20190203_234746-L.jpg

IMG_20190203_235051-L.jpg

I found a couple stray scratches on the wings near both wingtips so those were fixed and sanded smooth. I'll have to retouch them shortly. 

In the meantime, i decided to see what the plane looked like so I slipped the wings into place. 

IMG_20190203_235126-L.jpg

I never realized how big a 110 really is. 

Carl

11 hours ago, mozart said:

Its size always surprises me too Carl. Knowing your preference for clean finishes I guess you won't be messing that lovely paint up with dirty exhaust staining then?! :) 

Thanks Max! You're right that I generally model clean airframes but since it seems so typical for the plane to have them, I thought I'd give them a go.

IMG_20190204_122625-L.jpg

IMG_20190204_122638-L.jpg

IMG_20190204_122649-L.jpg

I used Tamiya Smoke in thin coats and then added a drop of NATO black for a couple more light passes. 

Carl

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Love it! That camo is going to look wonderful all together. 

Thanks Brian! Here's a quick test fit. 

IMG_20190205_004457-L.jpg

1 hour ago, Shawn M said:

dont be afraid to get sooty with the exhaust

late war german fuels we're coal based and we're quite dirty

love the camo and the exhaust is a nice breakup of the scheme, dig it

Thanks Shawn! Would the same apply to a BoB aircraft as far as exhaust staining goes. You're right the late war aircraft were sooty.

Carl