Dragon BF 110 C-7

BloorwestSiR

On 1/29/2019 at 10:36 AM, mark31 said:

nice work you put down here

just whent tru your topic and thanks for putting those mistakes out on the instructions

will take notes

Mark

On 1/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, JefH said:

Coming along really great.  I also appreciate your work proof-reading the instructions as I may join later in the year with a 110 as well.

Jeff

Thanks Mark and Jeff. The notes Brett Green posted help but there just seems to be more mistakes than what he has covered.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:54 PM, richardchapman5 said:

Wow coming along very nicely 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, Shawn M said:

oooooh thats a snazzy paint job!

love it

23 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

+1!!

Thanks guys! It's my first proper try at the squiggle camo that the Luftwaffe liked to use. The only other time I tried, I used stencils which were too hard edged. 

A small update. I started attaching the canopy to the fuselage. The section in front of the gunner station has a mounting slot so I started with that bit. It went on fine. The one forward of it however is slightly warped. So I've glued one side down first and when dry, I'll attach the other side. Hopefully this will work out. 

IMG_20190130_213009-L.jpg

IMG_20190130_212955-L.jpg

In the meantime, I'll be working on the nacelles.

Carl

I like that camo VERY much Carl!  The mix of squiggles and standard looking Luft camo is a winner in my book.  Ive never been able to start painting before assembly though...............even when the fit of the kit is near perfect, I seem to always want to finish assembly before paint. 

I invariably seem to muck something up on the assembly, and have to re-paint.   

On 1/31/2019 at 9:51 AM, Out2gtcha said:

I like that camo VERY much Carl!  The mix of squiggles and standard looking Luft camo is a winner in my book.  Ive never been able to start painting before assembly though...............even when the fit of the kit is near perfect, I seem to always want to finish assembly before paint. 

I invariably seem to muck something up on the assembly, and have to re-paint.   

Thanks Brian! I've found that on aircraft with twin nacelles, it's easier for me to paint them in subassemblies so I have better access to all sides. Then if a bit of touchup is needed, it's not as hard to do. 

On 1/31/2019 at 11:03 AM, Shawn M said:

I've only had one build (so far) where I could build paint then assemble.

Hoping the 110 is the second.

So far, I think this could be the next one. I know my pair of B-25s should go the same way. 

19 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That camouflage is most impressive, Carl!

Kev

Thanks Kev!

7 hours ago, mark31 said:

impressive work on that camo

thats somthing i cant make sharp work

Mark

Thanks Mark! I actually found it wasn't as hard as I expected. There is a bit of spatter in a couple places so I'll be touching those up. 

6 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Most impressive paintwork, those squiggles are great.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

Here's today's progress. I ended up with an uh, assistant who wouldn't take no for an answer. 

IMG_20190201_105050-L.jpg

Which made it a bit awkward to work around her. 

Anyways, the canopy is now firmly attached on both sides. Thankfully I didn't get any cement on it. At least not where it wasn't needed. 

IMG_20190201_101340-L.jpg

Last night I painted the vertical tailplanes so those went on today.

IMG_20190201_093542-L.jpg

While looking at the nacelles, I noticed that the clear engine instrument covers are marked for which side they go on. There is a small R and L on the tab. Unfortunately they have a frosted finish to them so it'll be hard to read the instrument panel that goes behind them.

IMG_20190201_094043-L.jpg

As noted in Brett's E&O list, they're not on the instructions. He mentioned that there isn't an instrument panel either. I think he missed it as they are part G16.

IMG_20190201_094652-L.jpg

They get mounted to the engine bearers. There's even a hole that requires drilling out to do so. 

IMG_20190201_094737-L.jpg

Since the engine instruments are only on the side facing the cockpit, I installed the outer ones onto the nacelles which will get painted over. 

IMG_20190201_094308-L.jpg

For the inner ones, I haven't decided if I'll try to polish the kit parts or try something else. 

Next up, I decided to cut the nose apart so that the upper panel can be removable. 

IMG_20190201_093519-L.jpg

I added a strip of styrene to make up for the material lost in the cut.

Here it is attached to the fuselage. Thanks to the shimming I did earlier, it's a clean fit. 

IMG_20190201_111044-L.jpg

With the cover off:

IMG_20190201_111056-L.jpg

That's it for now. 

Carl