Tamiya F-15E - FINISHED

Whitey

Hi Whitey

This kit is looking really good.

Just an option or suggestion. The wings go together easier if you glue them together and then to the top fuselage part. I cannot see if you have joined the fuselage parts yet but I found it to need less filler and shimming than on my first Tamiya F-15.

Nick

16 hours ago, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Whitey

This kit is looking really good.

Just an option or suggestion. The wings go together easier if you glue them together and then to the top fuselage part. I cannot see if you have joined the fuselage parts yet but I found it to need less filler and shimming than on my first Tamiya F-15.

Nick

Thanks Nick, but the fuselage is all done up and I am working away at getting the wing fit right before putting them to the fuselage permanently. Dry fitting so far only reveals a few spots to get right but you never know what pops up when it comes to the crunch in putting the things on for real. Thanks again for the suggestion. Hit me with lots more if you have some please.

Peter

Hi Peter

the rest of the kit should not provide too many problems. I found the wings needed a lot of attention to get to fit well. On my F-15C I have glued the wings to the top fuselage first and tacked it into position with superglue  before glueing. This is still not perfect but much easier than on my F-15I build. The elevator stab attachment pins seem a little frail but on the F-15I it still holds. I will however re-enforce them on the F-15C when I get around to finishing it. Other than that enjoy the kit. It looks really good and imposing due to its size. BTW have you shortened the u/c struts yet?

On 2/18/2019 at 11:18 AM, ericg said:

Well done mate. I thought everyone said Tamiya kits just fall together?

Eric the F-15 and F-4 Tamiya kits were their first generation 1/32 kits and although great models they need a bit of tweaking and lots of dry fitting when building them. The F-16 however falls together with no filler required on mine.

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11
spelling

It is amazing what you find after a primer coat goes down.

It takes a lot of filler and sanding and polishing and filler and sanding and polishing .....if you get my drift to get the top sides of the intakes looking like F-15E intakes and other bits and pieces of the fuselage trimmed up. After a light coat of Tamiya Grey primer to check for lumps and bumps, before putting the wings on, a mold line became visible along the bottom curve of the conformal fuel tanks.

I have only lightly sanded them to enable the line to show up. ELIMINATE - is going to happen next.

IMG_4133%20(2)-X4.jpg

More progress pics in the next day or so. 

Edited by Whitey
Picture went missing - re posted.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Hi Peter

the rest of the kit should not provide too many problems. I found the wings needed a lot of attention to get to fit well. On my F-15C I have glued the wings to the top fuselage first and tacked it into position with superglue  before glueing. This is still not perfect but much easier than on my F-15I build. The elevator stab attachment pins seem a little frail but on the F-15I it still holds. I will however re-enforce them on the F-15C when I get around to finishing it. Other than that enjoy the kit. It looks really good and imposing due to its size. BTW have you shortened the u/c struts yet?

Eric the F-15 and F-4 Tamiya kits were their first generation 1/32 kits and although great models they need a bit of tweaking and lots of dry fitting when building them. The F-16 however falls together with no filler required on mine.

Nick

Hi Nick,  thanks for the info.My wings seem to be ok and after lots of dry fitting and trimming are on ok with some filler happening near the leading edge at the wing root. No go on the nose strut yet, still working up the guts to do it. The size is certainly impressive when the wings are on. Happy modelling.

• 3 months later...

I've been a bit tardy with my posts for this build but rest assured it is still coming along nicely.

The main airframe components are completed and just sitting and drying from a thorough wash prior to the first full coat of primer.

IMG_4499-X3.jpg

I was a bit surprised with the amount of work required just to get to this stage but once I get the primer down and the airframe painted, the fiddly jobs of the undercart, weapons and canopy details will begin.

Its a big beasty.

• 1 month later...

Still ploughing on with the Mud Hen.

Overall painting completed using Mr Hobby H305 FS36118 after Tamiya Grey Primer and MRP-40 FS36118 which was way to dark. Still got to do some dirtying up with some boot marks and hydraulic oil streaking from various points. Engine panels are Tamiya TS-83 Metallic Silver with some Alclad colours yet to be added for heat and wear effects.

IMG_4509-X2.jpg

I've used some Burnt Umber oils to accentuate the ailerons, flaps and rudders hinge lines. Still got to clean them up.

IMG_4508-X4.jpg

IMG_4510-X2.jpg

A fair bit of work left to do with the weapons, targetting pods and tanks. Wolfpack AN/AAQ-28 and Tamiya AA/ANQ-14 from the kit.

Academy Sidewinder and AAMRAAMs from F-18D kit. Video Aviation Mk82s and Eduard GBU-12s.

IMG_4511-X3.jpg

Still a bit to go but should be able to get it finished in the next month or so. Fingers crossed.

Canopy rails with Eduard locking mechanisms. Still some work to go before putting the canopy in place, especially the canopy seals.

IMG_4513-X4.jpg

Undercarriage updated last night with hydraulic lines from wire and clamps from silver foil covers on Milo tins. A bit of clean up required after some oils added for depth.

IMG_4514-X3.jpg

And finally for this week the exhaust cans. Still more detailing to go but well on the way. Most parts from the kit with some Eduard photo etch to enhance this area.

IMG_4516-X3.jpg

Edited by Whitey