Tamiya F-15E - FINISHED

Whitey

I'm curious as to the attachment of the nose gear - normally they have you screw it into the nose gear before the fuselage halves go together. 

Are you just planning to glue it in and hope it stays? 

13 hours ago, AnthonyWan said:

I'm curious as to the attachment of the nose gear - normally they have you screw it into the nose gear before the fuselage halves go together. 

Are you just planning to glue it in and hope it stays? 

I've cut the screw so that it supports the nose leg but the nose leg can be left out of the model until later on.

DSCN2534-X2.jpg

There are four points to hold (with glue) the nose gear into place so no worries about it coming loose.

Once the nose gear flipper door is in place - closed, there will be enough details left to add some interest. Still a bit to do in the nose gear wheel well.

This photo shows some of the MRP paint and how dark and blue it is. Some touch ups required. Thanks camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Steady progress with the completion (almost) of the canopy, undercarriage, targetting and nav pods and some of the bombs. She is even up on her legs, but they are not attached permanently yet - still to gloss, apply decals and scruff it up a bit before attaching canopy, undercart and weapons.

IMG_0567-X3.jpg

Targeting and nav pods are painted in MRP FS36118. They really show up as darker than the Mr Hobby FS36118 (#305) . Photos show the pods to be darker so I think they look ok. Knock off the gloss later on and they will be ok. Kit AN/ALQ-13 Lantirn and Wolf Pack AN/AAQ-28 Litening. 

Leading edge lights with Tamiya Clear Red.

IMG_0568-X2.jpg

Chrome in the holes and then Clear Orange and Blue for the sensors. Still yet to add the sensor window for the Lantirn pod.

IMG_0575-X3.jpg

Jet exhausts are from the kit, enhanced with some Eduard photo-etch. Still not attached permanently and it looks like some fettering required. 

IMG_0569-X2.jpg

IMG_0570-X3.jpg

IMG_0590-X2.jpg

The canopy is complete except for the central canopy brac. Eduard photo-etch for the locks, a little of wire and home made grip handles for the WSO to hang onto.

IMG_0582-X3.jpg

Placards as per some photos from the spares box.

IMG_0572-X2.jpg

GBU-12s from Eduard Brassin. 5 of these, six Mk82s with BSU-33 tails (VideoAviation), 3 AMRAAM and 1 Aim-9, along with two 610 gallon tanks make up the load.

IMG_0573-X3.jpg

My original intention was to modify the nose gear to make it more accurate but I have been unable to find a spare to practice on and in the end chickened-out. Too much risk for so little benefit in this case. Only F-15 aficionados will know anyway. Black wire added for hydraulic lines, some silver foil for calipers and WP anti-shimmy arm added.

IMG_0583-X2.jpg

IMG_0587-X2.jpg

Main tyres sliced and plastic card added to thicken the side walls at the point they touch the ground - just to add a little look of flattened. High tyre pressures on the real jets keep them looking round anyway.

IMG_0589-X2.jpg

Next up I need to get some SMS Super Clear to prepare for decals. 

Here is the man and his jet. SQN LDR Matt Hall, RAAF (left).

DCP_0689-X3.jpg

Aussie-in-Iraq-X3.jpg

Edited by Whitey

• 3 months later...

That's it, finished at last.

Great looking aircraft. Nice model with some modelling skills required for this early Tamiya 1/32 jet.

IMG_4552-X4.jpg

Mr Colour 305 was the overall FS36118 colour. MRPs colour was too dark and blue for my liking. Decals from Two Bobs.

Some Eduard photoetch bits combined with some pieces from the Aires resin cockpit added to the kit cockpit and some additional details scratch built. Seats are from the kit with Eduard steel belts that I am not all that happy with, so might consider replacing them with resin seats with moulded on belts painted up. Lots of Eduard bits around the canopy sills.

IMG_4563-X3.jpg

5 Eduard Brassin GBU-12's, 6 videoaviation Mk84 slicks, 3 AIM-120 AMRAAMs and 1 AIM-9L Sidewinder make up the weapon load with two external fuel tanks. Wolfpack targeting and navigation pods. The kit only supplies one fuel tank so a quick shout out to LSPers and Peter Gregor responded and sent me another one that he didn't need. Thanks mate.

IMG_4580-X3.jpg

I didn't manage to modify the nose leg, high risk of failure for such a little difference that only aficionados would pick up anyway.

IMG_4578-X4.jpg

I tried using the kit and TwoBobs decals for the slime lights but the curve on the wingtip was too great and I didn't like the colours. I thought that Tamiya XF-76 IJN Green looked pretty close so I used it and wow, looked spot on. 

Jet pipes are as per the kit with just a few Eduard bits added for some extra detail.

IMG_4583-X3.jpg

Painted with several shades of Alclad and other metalisers brought them to life.

IMG_4516-X3.jpg

IMG_4574-X4.jpg

IMG_4576-X4.jpg

IMG_4557-X4.jpg

I took her to ScaleACT19 early in November and placed Third behind a magnificent Sufa and Supermarine Attacker in Large Scale Jets.

Overall I am really happy with my replica of Matt Hall's jet and she takes pride of place in the cabinet.