WnW Felixstowe - Finished Thanks

Robthepom

Took me 6 months to do mine, fantastic kit, you will need the trestles to support those wings though or else sag and strut bend are inevitable.

Have fun, I did the same scheme, photobucket wiped out my thread here but she is still up on the WnW customer models page.

Cheers

Brent

11 minutes ago, Simmo.b said:

Took me 6 months to do mine, fantastic kit, you will need the trestles to support those wings though or else sag and strut bend are inevitable.

Have fun, I did the same scheme, photobucket wiped out my thread here but she is still up on the WnW customer models page.

Cheers

Brent

I'm so glad your watching Brent, i have admired your Felixstowe for a while, hope you dont mind if i ask you alot of questions regarding the finish of your build, just as a few starters

1. did you use decals on the side panels

2. i have never painted a CDL colour, help please:bow:

3. i see you didnt use AM turnbuckles, any reason? I really like the look of the gaspatch product

etc etc etc

Did you show your model in QLD a couple of years ago, I'm sure Ive seen it in person, but age has mixed my mind:frantic:

8 minutes ago, Robthepom said:

I'm so glad your watching Brent, i have admired your Felixstowe for a while, hope you dont mind if i ask you alot of questions regarding the finish of your build, just as a few starters

1. did you use decals on the side panels

2. i have never painted a CDL colour, help please:bow:

3. i see you didnt use AM turnbuckles, any reason? I really like the look of the gaspatch product

etc etc etc

Did you show your model in QLD a couple of years ago, I'm sure Ive seen it in person, but age has mixed my mind:frantic:

Hi Rob,

Yeah I showed the kit in both Brisbane and Melbourne.

I used Uschi woodgrain decals on the side panels.

For the cdl I used Aviattic cdl decals, now days I paint cdl, mask around the ribs, paint the ribs dark brown, remove the masks, then paint the cdl, I use the excellent MRP paints which have 3 shades of cdl, start with a darker shade then mottle the lighter shades, the paint is quite translucent so the pre-painted ribs should just be seen.

I used bobs buckles brass tube for the turnbuclles, they look fine and are are easier than gaspatch to use, I did use the gaspatch anchor points though.

Don't get too hung up on the interior, great fun to paint and weather but most won't be seen.

Hope this helps!

Great choice.  I saw Ernie's build at the Nationals.  Yours will also look great on display in your home.  I am looking forward to this.

Someone should produce clear parts for the top of the aircraft so all the interior can be seen.  We should get WNW to talk to ZM.

Rick

Thanks for looking in

Snip Snip file file, 10mins and your carriage awaits

I havent done a WnW kit for a while, so i'd forgotten how good the fits are and the mould quality is outstanding

I dont do new years resolutions, but this year i have promised my self the following

1. Wash all parts before paint
  2. Prime all major parts before paint
  3. Dont mix paint in the airbrush cup

lets see how i go

XU4ubwj.jpg

4bmUyVw.jpg

On 1/1/2019 at 2:43 PM, Simmo.b said:

Hi Rob,

Yeah I showed the kit in both Brisbane and Melbourne.

I used Uschi woodgrain decals on the side panels.

For the cdl I used Aviattic cdl decals, now days I paint cdl, mask around the ribs, paint the ribs dark brown, remove the masks, then paint the cdl, I use the excellent MRP paints which have 3 shades of cdl, start with a darker shade then mottle the lighter shades, the paint is quite translucent so the pre-painted ribs should just be seen.

I used bobs buckles brass tube for the turnbuclles, they look fine and are are easier than gaspatch to use, I did use the gaspatch anchor points though.

Don't get too hung up on the interior, great fun to paint and weather but most won't be seen.

Hope this helps!

thanks for the tips

"Don't get too hung up on the interior"....your kidding, right???:D:D

There’s a ton of rigging, but it’s not the hardest thing to rig if you work from the inside out and take your time on the billions of wires. The spacing is pretty generous so you have more room to maneuver tweezers and whatnot. 

Not sure ive ever seen someone do a Felex build in the “standard” finish, and I’m looking forward to following this one!

I actually enjoy rigging, I've built WnW Fe2 and gotha:D. I'm always suprised when modellers say they are 'scared' of the rigging, just buy a kit look at tutorials, its actually easy when you take your time

Did some woodwork on the trolley over the weekend, just for practice, I'll hairspray and paint Battleship grey, i actually dont intend to use the trolley, i plan to do infligth version on a U shaped acrylic stand

v2zQIhF.jpg

P4D4V8W.jpg

1QsfxWp.jpg

I'm not very happy with the oils on the top of the trolley, i got the direction of 'grain' wrong

The fuselage is actually not that big its the wingspan thats the spacer killer, but hey you know that already

Edited by Robthepom