B17G "D Day Doll"

Simmo.b

Having finished the wings I thought I would go more traditional and make a start on the interior.

First up I couldn't live with the rear bulkhead to the radio room, the side of the bulkhead that faces the rear fusalage has the ammo boxes for the ball turret mounted to it which is incorrect (they really sit above the turret and turn with it)

So the boxes had to go, even worse there are large hollows on the part resulting from the radios being mounted on the other side.

My solution was to remove all detail, skin the part with Tamiya PLA paper then replace the lost detail with evergreen strip.

20181230_111552-L.jpg

The radio room floor has a step at its forward end, placed to allow the wing spar to pass through, incorrect in real life (HK have fixed this on the newer releases)

I cut out the step saving a peice of the removed plastic to bridge the gap then added plastic strip for strength.

20181230_111641-L.jpg

20181230_111630-L.jpg

The rubber matting was applied using Tamiya PLA paper and sprayed rubber black, the rest will eventually be woodgrained.

More soon

In regard to the ball turret ammunition cans, the external cans mounted on the cradle above the turret were not a WWII fit - these are often found on war-bird B-17 restorations and are not typical of wartime ball turrets. The ammunition was all carried internally during the war - the ammo cans above were developed as part of the B-32 Dominator programme and were never used on WWII-era B-17s.

If anyone does come across as WWII-era photograph of the external ammunition cans fitted on a B-17 ball turret I'd love to see it! I've been researching the B-17 for many years and am yet to see such a photograph. Equally, if anyone has a photo of an internally painted B-17 I'd love to see that too - again I've not been able to find a single WWII-era photograph showing a painted interior of a Fort - the flight-deck aside. Rumour has it Douglas painted some of theirs but I'm yet to see photographic evidence.

Tom

48 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

In regard to the ball turret ammunition cans, the external cans mounted on the cradle above the turret were not a WWII fit - these are often found on war-bird B-17 restorations and are not typical of wartime ball turrets. The ammunition was all carried internally during the war - the ammo cans above were developed as part of the B-32 Dominator programme and were never used on WWII-era B-17s.

If anyone does come across as WWII-era photograph of the external ammunition cans fitted on a B-17 ball turret I'd love to see it! I've been researching the B-17 for many years and am yet to see such a photograph. Equally, if anyone has a photo of an internally painted B-17 I'd love to see that too - again I've not been able to find a single WWII-era photograph showing a painted interior of a Fort - the flight-deck aside. Rumour has it Douglas painted some of theirs but I'm yet to see photographic evidence.

Tom

Cheers Tom!!

Saved me some scratchbuilding there!.

I completely agree with you re the internal colours (or lack thereof!!) Some great builds are let down by incorrectly painting the insides.

Cheers

Brent

• 3 weeks later...

More progress.

I went ahead and completed most of the woodgraining. my method for this is to airbrush a coat of MRP clear doped linen over the parts to recieve the treatment, any tan colour will do but  the shade chosen will effect the final result, I was going for a light ply effect so chose the CDL.

Next stage is to slap on a coat of raw umber oil paint, lay it on and make sure all of the underlying colour is covered.

Now take your significat others large make up brush and stroking with the intended direction of the grain remove most of the oil paint.

allow to dry thoroughly!

Here is the result.

20190204_141849-L.jpg

Here are the radio room and front section floors, the front floor was scribed to reflect the wood panels and demarcation between the wood and aluminium areas.

20190204_141958-L.jpg

The cockpit with eduard enhancements and Master control columns

20190204_142019-L.jpg

Cockpit side walls, The OD sections were coated with Mr Surfacer to represent the padding used in this area, I uset kabuki tape to represent the straps around the oxygen bottles rather than the Eduard items as this method was far easier and the area will be difficult to see once the fusalage is buttoned up

20190204_142055-L.jpg

Seats with HGW cushions and belts, these are worthwile as they can be easily seen and make a huge difference to the kit supplied items.

20190204_142133-L.jpg

Eduards panel, Eduards colour panels look much nicer if you spray a coat of flat clear over them then pick out the dials with clear, this removes the pixalation sometimes evident in these sets.

20190204_142158-L.jpg

The other side, enhanced by Eduard.

20190204_142217-L.jpg

All together

20190204_151620-L.jpg

20190204_151706-L.jpg

I am moving house next week so next post might be a while, see yuo then, thanks for following!