B17G "D Day Doll"

Simmo.b

So Here is my entry to the great 20th anniversary group build!

I picked up the HK Models kit last June at a swap and sell for a mere $150 Aussie dollars, the seller even included the Zotzs Heavenly bodies decal set!!

Then came the aftermarket! Oh well I saved on the kit so no worries!

All motivated I began construction and completed a wheel bay (figured that if the build got shelved then it could go back in the box and not get damaged).

Well shift work returned and I started on my HpH macchi M5 so the wheel bay is as far as I got, well under 25%.

With the Wingnut lanc on the horizon and no cash for the HK version I figured that if the Doll didn't get done then there was a risk of her never comming out of the stash, so when this GB was announced I figured that now was her time!

20181230_111125-L.jpg

Here are all of the bits and bobs!

20181204_050951-L.jpg

Progress so far, I intend to complete the wings first rather than the interior as this will remove large swaths of plastic from the sprues which= motivation!!

Good luck everybody!

Crikey - how much aftermarket?!  :)

It's a great kit to build (says the bloke who hasn't finished his own build yet) - look forward to seeing her come together Brent!

Iain

28 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I always love seeing a Fort coming together! I've done loads of research on the interior colours of B-17s so if you need any info, just shout. :)

Tom

I'm going with green in the control cabin, OD padding forward of the oxygen tanks, just about everything else natural metal. My research indicates that they didn't wast time and weight painting the interior and thatbuilds that feature interior green throughout are most probably based on post war restorations where it is more important to preserve the components.

What do you think?

24 minutes ago, Simmo.b said:

I'm going with green in the control cabin, OD padding forward of the oxygen tanks, just about everything else natural metal. My research indicates that they didn't wast time and weight painting the interior and thatbuilds that feature interior green throughout are most probably based on post war restorations where it is more important to preserve the components.

What do you think?

I’d say that you’re spot on! The green in the cockpit was dark dull (or bronze) green - US interior green was never, at any point, used in B-17s. 

Tom