ZM Ho-229

spacewolf

Thanks to all for following along, from the looks of the group we have here there are going to be some amazing modeling going on !!

Anyhoo.. on to the build. I first ran across the 229 whilst posted to Germany in the late 90's. I found this kit in a local hobby shop, simple, almost no detail but I fell in love with it. 

IkCK8ep.jpg

That model is long gone now but It was fun. Then came the Dragon kit....

CFefYTw.jpg

I never built it but a friend did. He had issues with it but it looked good once built.

Now to the ZM kit.... I remember wayy back when I was building my Lippish P13 a a conversation I was in with Loic and a few others where we were dreaming of an injection mold high quality kit of the 229 in 'our' scale. I had toyed with the idea of scratch building one but the idea got shelved as the internal structure was to intimidating... We had no idea that within 3 years of that conversation our dreams would come true.. in spades !!

The kit comes in a large sturdy box, well packaged... no need to worry about the contents being damaged.

dLQ7qOf.jpg

The level of crisp detail is amazing....

Qr5stcE.jpg

KuAJdzI.jpg

A nice decal sheet and instruction book... and pre cut masks...

UdDqChl.jpg

Who could ask for more ?

Well... I could ! Photo etch for the cockpit and a few other area's...

I2XWA6A.jpg

yXKDrrw.jpg

Plywood poto etch... want to try painting this... and this will work for my Wingnuts Albatros as well !!

g9xXCtG.jpg

And books... The concept notes is a great help in figuring out the kit and giving one idea's of painting the kit.. the full color shots of the real aircraft doesn't hurt either !

GzxDJ0V.jpg

gwwdIWb.jpg

So... I'm off to the races with this... going to take my time and see what madness I can get up to, though ZM seem to have thought of almost everything !!

Cheers

4 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Great subject Vaughn - look forward to seeing you weave your magic on this!

Iain

I'm watching you work yours Iain... That's going to be a most interesting build to follow. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the fixes needed.

:popcorn:

A slow start for me... work, limited bench time... not to mention following the stunning projects everyone else is doing !!... anyhoo, Carl Otto is watching (upper right corner) so I'm building engines !

mjMfWdN.jpg

ZM is NOT your normal model company... you can tell by their literature and the quality of their kits... and the parts number count !! Yes, most of the detail gets hidden, yes it may push up the cost of the kits, but one can tell they LOVE aircraft and all the technical things.. they want to educate and inform the builder. I know this ticks off quite a few folks, but us AMS infected glue sniffers just marvel at these kits !!

0Bin93X.jpg

As an ex aviation tech I'm just stunned....  The spues holding the parts are very well thought out... with a good pair of nippers and a new # 11 blade parts come off with almost no cleanup needed.

ij1wA7h.jpg

And, I might add... they sold out the first run of the kit. I unfortunately didn't get in on it so this is the second run.... no flash at all and almost no cleanup so far..

c7M77Hn.jpg

Push pin points are in area's that will be covered by other parts...

Z1W1r2q.jpg

So many small parts make things a bit tedious, but this is not a kit to rush...

ZGgOg5a.jpg

This is a model to take ones time with.. to savor like a good cup of coffee or a fine wine..

ro5EaO7.jpg

More in a day or two !!