F-4EJ Kai - Japanese Phantom conversion help needed

seiran01

Hi all, happy new year!

ive accepted that no-one is selling the Wolfpack conversions for the updated Kai version of the F-4EJ. Wolfpack has had the “courtesy” to not respond to multiple attempts to contact while moving the second release of this conversion from “sold out” to “discontinued” on their site a few days ago. So I need some assistance please :)

Does anyone either have photos of the Kai control panels and HUD (different from the standard -E/EJ), or have the conversion set who is willing to take some pics of the control panels and hud for me? I’m going to go ahead with making my own parts for 3d printing and want to make them accurate.

thanks very much,

Mike

I'm accessing an F-4EJ kit with the Wolfpack parts in the next few weeks. 

I was told that the WP cockpit parts suffered from shrinkage (maybe just a competitor slagging off Wolfpack, maybe not) so you might actually be better off reworking scanned Tamiya IPs based on photos of the real thing. 

Tony 

18 minutes ago, Tony T said:

I'm accessing an F-4EJ kit with the Wolfpack parts in the next few weeks. 

I was told that the WP cockpit parts suffered from shrinkage (maybe just a competitor slagging off Wolfpack, maybe not) so you might actually be better off reworking scanned Tamiya IPs based on photos of the real thing. 

Tony 

WP parts may have a little shrinkage as many of them use the kit parts as a base, but it’s usually not as noticeable with cockpit parts as it is with things like noses that have to mate up with external fuselage or wing parts.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

WP parts may have a little shrinkage as many of them use the kit parts as a base, but it’s usually not as noticeable with cockpit parts as it is with things like noses that have to mate up with external fuselage or wing parts.

I was told...

...Wolfpack is having real trouble selling the sew that they made several years ago.   Maybe with it being undersized is cause for  the slow sales.
Usual thumbing keyboard illiteracy, but the sets are all sold now so where do we go? I have one set but the farewell JASDF Phantom schemes are appealing. Maybe Tamiya will do a special boxing ?

Tony 

40 minutes ago, Tony T said:

I was told...

...Wolfpack is having real trouble selling the sew that they made several years ago.   Maybe with it being undersized is cause for  the slow sales.
Usual thumbing keyboard illiteracy, but the sets are all sold now so where do we go? I have one set but the farewell JASDF Phantom schemes are appealing. Maybe Tamiya will do a special boxing ?

Tony 

What does “selling the sew” mean?

Given that they sold out of both boxings of the F-4EJ Kai conversion, it doesn’t seem like they had much problem selling them.  I hadn’t heard of fit issues with the sets, however I do remember the initial set, with the dry transfers for the blue scheme was quite expensive, $120, which was more than the kit alone went for.  It was probably also only going to be a one-time only release, likely due to the deal with Hobbydecal to include the dry transfers.  The second release of the set was more moderately priced as they ditched the dry transfers, and also left out the flaps down set, which probably most people didn’t miss.

In my experience, the Wolfpack resin products do suffer from shrinkage.  I have used the Rafale slats once, and using them again, they are about 1 mm short in span, and their fit isn't that great.  I would be very hesitant to use their nose cone for the F-15J, but rather use it as reference to add my own strips to the kit nose.  If you are going to make your own 3D design and 3D print, then I'd work from scans/images of the Tamiya parts and photos of the real thing, and you will end up with something better than Wolfpack offers.  I do have a number of Wolfpack's products and will continue to buy them as they do offer products not available elsewhere.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:31 PM, seiran01 said:

Perfect pix, thank you!! Thanks everyone for input and the video link also.

that HUD looks familiar, what else have I seen that in?

may be in the F-16s IPs ?

F16