Hasegawa P-40E, 7th FS/49th FG, Darwin Australia 1942

ChuckD

It is with great pleasure that I present my completed 1/32 P-40E in the livery of the 7th FS, 49th FG in Darwin, Australia, 1942.  I've been on a big early-Pacific-war kick lately (see also: Guadalcanal-era Wildcat), so I decided to pull this off the shelf and give it a go.  The trick is that I decided to do that on December 15th and I'm planning to join the Multi-Engine Group Build with my HKM B-17E on January 1.  Can't have something else cluttering the bench, so I challenged myself to put out a reasonably quality product by December 31st, or 16 days from start to finish.  If you'd like to see the build process, I was fairly verbose in the WIP thread.

This was built out of the box except for a couple minor things.  The shoulder harnesses came from the spares bin (I think for a P-39) and the lap belts are Tamiya tape.  The aerial wire is EZ Line and the rear iron sight is scratch built from the spare PE left over on a StuG III kit I did years ago.  Much better than the ridiculous molded plastic rear sight.  The kit is really pretty good and fits together well, though I remain baffled on several of Hasegawa's engineering decisions.  Neither the separate tail section or the rear canopy glass are done on a panel line, so extensive filling, sanding, and rescribing are needed... something that I did a so-so job on.  A little more thought to the engineering on this would have taken a "really solid" kit to a "superb" kit.  Markings are Montex masks and decals.

Paints and finishing materials are a mix of everything.  Tamiya, MRP, Vallejo, etc.  Though, I will give a tip that I found an absolutely perfect "flat" clear that I'll use from here on out.  It's a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Gloss Varnish and Vallejo Matt Varnish thinned 3:1 with their airbrush thinner.  E.g. 3 parts gloss, 3 parts matt, 18 parts thinner.  It's not dead flat, but few things are, and that mix gave me a perfect finish for oil filtering.  

Anyway, on to the pics.

eZMpGmt.jpg

qkP4X3U.jpg

RJuFuaF.jpg

b9CTnIB.jpg

My first time working with masks.  Turned out pretty well despite making rookie mistakes and over-complicating the process for myself.  (sigh)

IIKGmk6.jpg

Scratch-built rear iron sight

P0QH81q.jpg

PDYnvtj.jpg

Cockpit.  See the WIP thread for more detailed photos.

pxvf2mK.jpg

fugcCbF.jpg

• 3 years later...