P-51D-5-NA Maj. George E.Preddy Jr.

Miloslav1956

Hi Miloslav,

very nice cockpit and proyect, will follow it closely mate!

can I point out that the radio rack was painted black and not green as tamiya intructions say,  they came out black from the North American Aviation factory as this shot from the video 1944 line factory shows, hope it helps if you are looking for historical accurate rendition.

cheers

RACK.jpg

7 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

Antonio,

Thanks for these pics!  I've not seen the video before and am wary of modern reconstructions, but do like to be as accurate as possible.   The bottom picture seems to show some sort of canvas cover on the floor.  I wonder what that is about.

Thanks!  Chris

Hi Chris,

that canvas could be open to acces to the control column and linkage mechanism wich sits on the wing part under the cockpit, as well as ventilation system.

I recomend watching my friend's build in wich many aspects like this were ilustrated, very Mustangly educational speaking lol :

cheers

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235029538-missouri-armada-p-51d-mustang-documents-and-partial-scratch-from-the-tamiya-148-kit/&page=3

Miloslav - wow!  What a crisp looking build, and well researched.  I do however want to point something out - ETO Mustang groups like the 352nd did not use the SCR-274 short range radio receiver.  They used the SCR-522 high freq radio only, which you have well represented on top of the fuel tank.  So the unit I have shown circled in red below was removed in the field:

hgD8J92.jpg

Also, for the same reason, ETO fighters including the Mustang did NOT have the long wire antenna that went from the cockpit to the tail.  That was also removed, and in the case of the P-51D, a clear plastic cover plate was attached to the top of the bubble canopy where the wire normally entered. 

Will be looking in on this great build.