Sign in to follow this  
Sgt Shultz II

What would you choose?

Okay, say you want to build a 1/48 scale airplane. It has to be pretty accurate. It has to look good as is with good details, no aftermarket stuff.

Most important it has to be cheap!

What would you choose and why?

Ron

25 minutes ago, Sgt Shultz II said:

Okay, say you want to build a 1/48 scale airplane. It has to be pretty accurate. It has to look good as is with good details, no aftermarket stuff.

Most important it has to be cheap!

What would you choose and why?

Ron

I will start with the fact that it is difficult to combine cheap and good. I will try to offer you really good models one more expensive the second cheaper.

The first one is more expensive, but very good 1:48 scale model, great detail and very good fitting.
I mean the entire family MiG-29 from GWH version is your choice.

The second option is cheaper but also a great model from Kinetic Su-33.

The effect you get is very good and it's straight from the box.
Important, you will not need a bucket of putty.

Ready model

SqHEJsG.jpg?18tt2QmF.jpg?1

Tamiya Fw190 A8/R2

Italeri Ju87 B2

Italeri Hurricane Mk.I

Hobbyboss Me262 series

Airfix Bf109 E4

ICM Bf109 F2/4

ICM P51-D

Eduard Weekend Edition Fw190 D9

I chose these kits because they are cheap enough to buy and give good details and builds straight from the box. Depends what aircraft you are into really. I can only say about WWII aircraft as i haven't built any 'modern' aircraft kits in 1/48 yet.

Edited by AlanG
Dyslexia strikes again

14 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

HobbyBoss Fw190 D-9:

Good fit, symplicity, accuracy and good detail.

Their Ta-152 kits are supposed to be good too

In 1/48:  Tamiya's P-51D or Mustang III, any Eduard P-39 you can find (esp the Profi-Pak kits), Eduard or Tamiya Spitfires.  I've built all of these and they are a joy to put together. If you want a real hoot build an Eduard Spitfire in 1/72.  Buy the Overtrees and some AM decals and you are SET.  I think this is the un-talked-about steal of our industry - the Overtrees from Eduard.  

Let us know what you chose.

Chris

I'll second the Tamiya Mustangs, and add the Airfix Gnat - great little kit from the box.  I seem to recall Italeri's Fiat CR42 is pretty good as well - and no rigging to speak of.  If you don't mind a bit of rigging, the Revell Stearman (either version) is superb.

Edited by MikeC

On 12/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, AlanG said:

Tamiya Fw190 A8/R2

Italeri Ju87 B2

Italeri Hurricane Mk.I

Hobbyboss Me262 series

Airfix Bf109 E4

ICM Bf109 F2/4

ICM P51-D

Eduard Weekend Edition Fw190 D9

I chose these kits because they are cheap enough to buy and give good details and builds straight from the box. Depends what aircraft you are into really. I can only say about WWII aircraft as i haven't built any 'modern' aircraft kits in 1/48 yet.

Have to edit my reply. It wasn't an ICM Bf109 F2/4. It was a Zvezda Bf109 F2/4. Cheap kits that sometimes comes with groundcrew. The Bf109 F series is quite accurate by all accounts and builds into a good kit.

Depending on the era you want to build I would go with these.

Tamiya P-51B/D, P-47, Skyraider, Me-262, Spitfire Vb etc

Hasegawa P-51D, Ki-84, 109's

I've built 7 P-51D's and P-47's plus have the 262 on the desk. I find if I need a break from a 1/32 uber kit these fit the bill.

Don

10 hours ago, AlanG said:

Have to edit my reply. It wasn't an ICM Bf109 F2/4. It was a Zvezda Bf109 F2/4. Cheap kits that sometimes comes with groundcrew. The Bf109 F series is quite accurate by all accounts and builds into a good kit.

The latest Zvesda kits are very nice! I started on the La-5 kit and was amazed at the detail! Fit is good, too. Their SU-2 looks good, too!

You can get the Zvezda 109G6 for like 10 bucks.  Though I don't understand why so cheap...  though it has no PE, it's detail is right up there with Eduard.  It may even be slightly over-engineered.  If you're looking for inexpensive + takes some time do to, the Zvezda 109's are pretty hard to beat.  My only quarrel with the Zvezda 109's is that they're made to have the radiator flaps closed.  Of course... it's only a little work to make them open.