HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

Yeah, right...

You spelled it wrong - I think desperation is the word you were looking for!  ;)

In breaking news, whilst waiting for paint to dry on the two-seat Spit, I've made the first cuts to the forward/aft running webs inside the upper starboard wing - and can already bend to almost the right shape - keeping it there is more of a challenge - but an indication that I might be barking up the right tree...

Hopefully photos of the damage over the weekend!  :rofl:

Iain

10 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Probably helps if I show the direct overlay of the Davis B-24 profile overlaid on the kit wing root for reference - you'll see why adding a few degrees of incidence made all the difference and caused me to go my planned route:

2170-193.jpg

And with a few degrees of incidence added:

2170-192.jpg

You can see how this simplifies the 'correction' and covers the two areas of concern in one hit!  :)

The root angle of incidence on the B-24 wing is, I believe, 3° 26' (the kit is less - a quick measure with a protractor gives about 1° - dictated by the angle of the cut-out in the fuselage) - so that fits roughly with what I've found above.

Just sometimes the Planets align - this *may* be one of those times - but jury's out until we make it happen!

EDITED to correct angle of attack to incidence - an important difference!

Iain

Looking at that photo it seems that where you'll need to bend is fairly central. the profile seems ostensibly correct save for a few bends that went wrong in the midpoint. cutting slots in the stiffener should help maintain structural integrity but also help control the rate of bend over the outer skin of the wing. Then again, not being metal but plastic, I suppose a peak would be easy enough to sand off and re-detail.

I'd almost like to grab a *dwf CAD file, copy the last 60% of the trailing upper and lower wing and rotate it till it matched the profile.

Great stuff mate. I'm off to do some metal folding in the garage!

Cheers Matty

2 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Before I toddle off to bed, anyone know if B-24 main wheels/tyres are the same as those on the B-17 - on first pass looks like they are?

Oh - and I think I might put an engine from a Special Hobby P-36 into rubber - I have a cunning plan...

Iain

Hi Iain,

Just compared true details resin B-17 and B-24 wheels in 48th scale. 

B-17

26.25mm OD  9.93mm width

B-24

28.25mm OD   8.81mm width

I was thinking I might take a mould off a Trumpy Wildcat engine?

Thanks Nige for those dims - have found definitive on sizes:

48b427_984895466b3a4e18add0db526605b2c9~

So, identical tyre sizes - and the hubs look identical in photos - so two sets of Eduard Brassin 632017 B-17G wheels and tyres ordered (already have a set for my B-17 and they're very nice).

Interestingly - there's quite a difference in sizes between the Eduard set and the kit tyres - I tried the kit tyres against the opening in the wing - and too large to 'retract'!  :)

I'm sure I'll find something for the nose wheel in time...

EDIT - the P-61 nose wheel looks almost identical, so poss True Details.

Engines - I think detail is sharper/shapes better on the Special Hobby R-1830, rather than Trumpy Wildcat - but haven't done a direct comparison - yet.

As there's been much discussion on costs - I'll keep a rundown of spend on this, as well as the Privateer:

Liberator GR Mk.VI:

Kit: £125

Wheels: £8

Privateer:

Kit: £125

Wheels: £8

Iain

great to see this...

an ambitious and open approach to actually building a model and not expecting it to be just glue & paint required..

every kit is a canvas - I would rather be fixing this one than scratchbuilding to get a 1/32 Liberator thats for sure :ninja:

fascinating stuff...

Peter