HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

@zeusbheld Early D models had the narrower chord props - I believe the diameter was the same as the paddle blades, however. In short, check references. It wouldn’t be too tricky to sand/file the early, narrower, prop from the paddle blade later version if push came to shove. 

EDIT. Here’s some pics. 

Early:

53529749443_6cc0cf4f97_z.jpg

Late:

53528663457_fb248c2e5d_b.jpg

Edited by tomprobert

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

@zeusbheld Early D models had the narrower chord props - I believe the diameter was the same as the paddle blades, however. In short, check references. It wouldn’t be too tricky to sand/file the early, narrower, prop from the paddle blade later version if push came to shove. 

EDIT. Here’s some pics. 

Early:

53529749443_6cc0cf4f97_z.jpg

Late:

53528663457_fb248c2e5d_b.jpg

fantastic photos, looks like either way the Quickboost props are the best solution currently available. it's between Quickboost and Quickboost thinned for me then. haven't picked a ship yet, most likely 90th BG but might do Sandman (Ploesti) if a do a different Ploesti ship in 1/72. 

next point of confusion: can't find any info on wheels. from aftermarket it looks like only the front changed from 8 to 9 spokes? also i don't see a lot of 'dust covers' in reference photos, but my stack of books from Amazon is in transit. 

1 hour ago, armor fiend said:

Iain, given how much work it's been to force the wings into compliance, might it not be easier to 3d print new wings?

No, not in any way, shape, or form! :D

Believe me - I've gone through ALL the options...  :P

If I can get the inserts to work it will result in a light/strong structure that keeps existing surface detail, most of the existing kit parts - and is relatively simple. This route will also be cheaper and take an awful lot less design effort.

The wings are too large for complete resin prints - and if I could get a printer large enough - the results would be too heavy and relatively brittle.

If printed on the FDM printer as complete wings you'd end up having to do a lot more work - and have to surface prep and engrave all external surfaces.

I've been really busy elsewhere, but I will get back to looking at the CAD models at some point in the future.

Iain

On 2/16/2024 at 2:01 PM, Iain said:

If I can get the inserts to work it will result in a light/strong structure that keeps existing surface detail, most of the existing kit parts - and is relatively simple. This route will also be cheaper and take an awful lot less design effort.

The wings are too large for complete resin prints - and if I could get a printer large enough - the results would be too heavy and relatively brittle.

If printed on the FDM printer as complete wings you'd end up having to do a lot more work - and have to surface prep and engrave all external surfaces.

I've been really busy elsewhere, but I will get back to looking at the CAD models at some point in the future.

Iain

Also wonder the cost in resin to print a wing, it isn't cheap and getting higher here in the States.

With that, and the insane cost to ship large items, will it be possible to buy the print file?

On 2/17/2024 at 5:01 AM, Iain said:

Iain

if you start a kickstarter or patreon for this wing fix i'll be the first one in...

Hi all,

I'm temporarily locking this thread at the present time.

Recent interest is lovely to see, and really appreciated, but has been a catalyst to some self-imposed pressure/stress/anxiety which I could really do without at present, as I've been really busy on other things.

However, I have been honing my 3D design skills so, as soon as I can find some time to sit down and focus on the Liberator again, I'll hopefully have something closer to a solution.

And when I'm there I'll post here... :)

Thank you,

Iain

• Iain locked this topic