HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

My current concern is twisting of the insert - and the outer nacelles possibly adopting a different angle to the inners as the wing surface is bent around the former.

That said - the next iteration will be thicker at it's outer extremity - and should have thicker sides around the gear bay opening - so that should have increased torsional rigidity.

More news when there's more news...

Iain

Iain,

I discovered this discussion recently, it took me a while to read and digest everything.

I do not have in mind to build a B24, I simply do not know where to put it, but having already read (and having been struck by it) the discussion on He219, I just couldn't not follow this.

what to say? the phrase attributed to Leonardo da Vinci, the motto of the Amerigo Vespucci ship for decades, seems appropriate to me: not who begins but who perseveres.

IMG-6248.JPG

all my admiration and esteem for the approach and stubbornness in solving seemingly insurmountable problems (and which should not even exist, in third millennium models).

cheers, Paolo

Super update Iain, glad you kept at it and you have a partner assisting in this one - great work both of you.

You may have said, but once prototype is finalized will each set be printed out, or cast from a master?

And this is what LSP is about, smart solutions to the occasional kit issues found in this great scale. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Super update Iain, glad you kept at it and you have a partner assisting in this one - great work both of you.

You may have said, but once prototype is finalized will each set be printed out, or cast from a master?

And this is what LSP is about, smart solutions to the occasional kit issues found in this great scale. :thumbsup:

If I get that far then plan is to 3D print each set in HIPS - maybe with replacement tips 3D printed in resin.

Printed HIPS far stronger - and lighter - than cast resin - and can be bonded far better to the plastic parts using polystyrene cement as it's the same material.

Costs should also be less.

Downside is it will take a few days to print each set!

Still some way to go before I have a solution I'm happy with - but definitely making progress.  :piliot:

Iain

BRILLIANT!!

I dont even HAVE the kit, but Id buy these.......the wing and the turret transparencies were THE things that made me never buy the kit. The transparencies now seem to have a fix, but the "major-ness" of the wing fix always put me off, but this is amazing, and a perfect solution to what cannot be unseen. 

On 5/15/2022 at 12:10 PM, Iain said:

Each side designed to meet in the middle - with 6mm diameter acrylic rods used to help lock and align everything together - these will be 100mm long - so extend 50mm into the wing on each side, beyond the sides of the fuselage.

Result should be very strong!

Again - ignore the gap!  :)

48b427_d5f7c38cc60242b7939bed4d134531f2~

Hi Iain,

Thinking about the potential for twisting of the inserts, I’m looking at this pic and wondering if you have enough meat in the plastic for a second pair of channels for inserted metal or carbon rods or tubes, running out from the wing stubs to the outboard nacelle positions. They might add enough rigidity to ward off a potential twist. 

Cheers,

Adam

Well Iain...,

I just printed a scaled copy of the drawing you posted back on page 17.  Have been mulling it over and am about to dive in with both feet.  In fact, last night I sat down and started removing the stiffeners from a wing.  Will give it a go and see how it works out--think you're totally on to something and many thanks for leading the way!  Off to the local HS to pick up some thick styrene stock!

-Peter