HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

In my case I've not the finished the wing on mine Greg - I'm still working on CAD drawings for the cores, to be 3D printed.

If you go back to earlier posts you'll see photos showing the difference in cross-section and thickness towards the tips - I don't think I have any showing the wing against the fuselage - but, yes, IMHO it makes a big difference and is clearly visible - to me.

I've seen models build straight from the kit and they look good - the difference is down to whether you, personally, want to make the modifications.

It's your model and you shouldn't be swayed by anyone else!  :)

Have fun,

Iain

9 hours ago, 32scalelover said:

Julian,

Did you ever post pics of your modified wing?  I was curious as to how it looked compared to the kit wing.  Is there a major difference that is clearly visible? I as since i am ready to start my B-24 and am wondering if it is worth the effort to do the mod.

Greg

I finished one, and I’ll post pictures on my thread soon, I’m still adding battle damage to the other, but I have completed the airfoil mods on both. There definitely is an obvious difference, if your looking for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, Iain said:

Which reminds me that I need to extract a digit and review the Quickboost blades and Vector engines...  :frantic:

Iain

Hi Iain,

Any news / thoughts on those blades and engines?

Cheers

Nick

On 3/14/2021 at 8:20 AM, 32scalelover said:

Thanks guys.  I am still deciding what to do. 

Julian, What is your thread called as I searched for B-24 but didn't see it?

Greg

Julain, Can you post a link to your thread?

Thanks,

Greg

On 3/14/2021 at 3:20 PM, 32scalelover said:

Thanks guys.  I am still deciding what to do. 

Julian, What is your thread called as I searched for B-24 but didn't see it?

Greg

It's probably this one:

No pictures there though, except those in the doc.qoogle links.

Juraj

On 6/11/2021 at 5:51 AM, Trak-Tor said:

It's probably this one:

No pictures there though, except those in the doc.qoogle links.

Juraj

Thanks for the link.  I am trying to find a pic of the corrected wing next to the stock kit wing so i can see how much visible difference there is so I can decide whether or not I want to attempt the fix or not.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, no further progress on mine as yet - have been tied up elsewhere last couple of months, so not a lot of progress on any models.

But I am still trying to learn the 3D modelling side to a stage where I have the wing correction drawn up.

@nmayhew photos of the engine and prop parts were done months ago - will try and get reviews up in near future.

All the best everyone...

Iain

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all,

In yet another 'Holy thread resurrection, Batman' post I have some news.

It's actually rather BiG news.

This is now a joint project between Tim Perry and myself - which bring's Tim's vast experience of 3D Modelling and printing into play.

As a result we now have some prototype CAD models - and the first test print parts are printing now...

48b427_67f2aad36e3042108df215dfaeb7b4ed~

48b427_01dac849d69d44228333460d91ab3a6d~

Concept, as I've described before, is to provide a solid core to each wing, printed in High Impact Polystyrene, to which the kit wings - minus a lot of the internal 'webbing' - are bent around and bonded using polystyrene cement.

This will mostly correct - and, hopefully, vastly improve the look of the wings in the Hobbyboss kit.

There are bound to be tweaks needed - but we're moving forward.

No idea on price/availability yet - and there's more sorting to be done on replacement wing tips, etc.. - but I thought some might like to see where we are.

As we make further progress - and test the concept - I'll update everyone here.

Please don't email me just yet - will advise when I need to know interest.

Blue skies...

Iain