HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

I'm afraid work and family stuff at the moment means modelling is way down my list of priorities.

With regards to the formers - you know as much as I do at present, as I haven't finished the work on the wings - so you'll have to make your own way a little.

I'd use the thickest styrene sheet you can get to make the formers - and attach at the leading edge and allow to dry before trying to bend/glue the rest of the wing.

I'd do the upper wing first and make sure that's all sorted/re-shaped/dry before adding the lower wing.

You will need to re-shape the sides of the gear bay to the new profile, before fitting.

Of course you'll then need to sort the 'wing spar' in some way...

No warranty given, or implied!

Iain

3 hours ago, Iain said:

I'm afraid work and family stuff at the moment means modelling is way down my list of priorities.

With regards to the formers - you know as much as I do at present, as I haven't finished the work on the wings - so you'll have to make your own way a little.

I'd use the thickest styrene sheet you can get to make the formers - and attach at the leading edge and allow to dry before trying to bend/glue the rest of the wing.

I'd do the upper wing first and make sure that's all sorted/re-shaped/dry before adding the lower wing.

You will need to re-shape the sides of the gear bay to the new profile, before fitting.

Iain

I appreciate your response! I will give it a go!

On 8/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Iain said:

Iain

On 8/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Iain said:

Iain

I can not thank you enough... I have so much more confidence in strath building now that you convinced me to start this, what I thought, impossible project. I am almost halfway done. I will continue in you path! Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Julian,

Great work so far - can I suggest you start your own thread on this?

I am a little worried that you've dived in with something that I've half finished - as I said earlier - no warranty given, or implied!

There's a reason I haven't fully modded my own wings yet - and that's because I'm still working through all that's needed.

The cross sections are good - but there's a lot that could go wrong and I don't want you to end up with a scrap set of wings.

Did you clamp and bond the leading edge first - allowing everything to dry properly before any further bending?

The drawings I posted had an early spar cut out marked. The horizontal lines of these cut-outs need to pretty much align with the nacelle joints ahead of the wing.

If not you may end up with the thrust line of the cowlings pointing upwards...

You also need to remove all moulded front to rear webs out from the root to the outer side of the undercarriage bay.

The root to tip webs at the rear also need reducing in height.

As said earlier - am tied up elsewhere at present - but we're working on a 3D model of a replacement shaped wing spar.

The plan is that you won't need individual formers...

I'm having to learn to draw this - so a steep learning curve!

Iain

43 minutes ago, Iain said:

Hi Julian,

Great work so far - can I suggest you start your own thread on this?

I am a little worried that you've dived in with something that I've half finished - as I said earlier - no warranty given, or implied!

There's a reason I haven't fully modded my own wings yet - and that's because I'm still working through all that's needed.

The cross sections are good - but there's a lot that could go wrong and I don't want you to end up with a scrap set of wings.

Did you clamp and bond the leading edge first - allowing everything to dry properly before any further bending?

The drawings I posted had an early spar cut out marked. The horizontal lines of these cut-outs need to pretty much align with the nacelle joints ahead of the wing.

If not you may end up with the thrust line of the cowlings pointing upwards...

You also need to remove all moulded front to rear webs out from the root to the outer side of the undercarriage bay.

The root to tip webs at the rear also need reducing in height.

As said earlier - am tied up elsewhere at present - but we're working on a 3D model of a replacement shaped wing spar.

The plan is that you won't need individual formers...

I'm having to learn to draw this - so a steep learning curve!

Iain

Lain, No need to be stressed! I’m done with the wing! I finished it a few days before posting the video. Yes I clamped the leading edge, And I changed the Root tips as well. I will share pictures tomorrow. ( I will create a new forum.) have a great day! 

Hi Julian,

That's great to hear regarding the wings.  :)

I was concerned when I realised you were new to scratch-building - I'd assumed in earlier posts that you had prior experience, I obviously needn't have worried!  B)

What you're doing to your B-24 is great - it really deserves it's own thread!

Happy modelling!

Iain

• 3 months later...

Apologies to everyone that's been following this for the lack of updates - but a little news, maybe...

Modding the kit wing spar to fit with the new wing profiles really wasn't working.

I now have an FDM type 3D Printer and have practiced printing successfully with HIPS High Impact Polystyrene - model kit plastic!

So, moving on with a wing fix I'm drawing up (as part of my attempt to learn Rhino 3D Modelling software) complete spars for 3D printing that will now run from the fuselage centreline out to the mid-point of the wing - a few mm outboard of the outboard engines.

This will give a solid, corrected, airfoil section from mid wing, to root, and be set at the correct angle of incidence, as well as dihedral, to rectangular plugs that will pass into the fuselage from outside - and reach the mid-point.

These rectangular plugs will have holes for short brass rods to connect the two sides at the mid-point - in theory you'll be able to correct the wing profiles - and have them de-mountable to transport/store the build model.

To facilitate printing, each side will also be split length-wise, from the outer edge (at wing midpoint) to fuselage mid-point - so will be joined front to rear before fitting to wing.

There will be a cut-out for the undercarriage bay, which will need modifying to match the corrected cross section.

Parts printed in HIPS - so glue to kit parts using normal glues/solvents.

Should be strong and light, and easy to use if you remove relevant internal webbing from the wings.

Please don't hit me with suggestions on other ways to do this - it's had a lot of thought and, I think, is doable with the tools I now have.

Now in CorelDraw designing the mid-wing airfoil section - then into Rhino for 3D modelling.

Will be on a huge learning curve - so if you don't hear anything for a while, please do not adjust your sets - I *am* working on it!  :deadhorse::frantic:

As soon as I have something resembling a 3D model I'll do some screen grabs and post here.  :)

Iain

18 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Iain,

Champion efforts, and I appreciate your dedication to getting it right without rushing things. Thanks for forging a path for the rest of us!

Cheers,  Tom

x2!!!! I'm really excited to see what you come up with Iain! This is indeed a very challenging fix and I love how you're going about it!

Craig

I'm assuming this will be a set to purchase? If so, I'd take one Iain... I really want to build a Privateer from this kit once the B-17 is done, but the wing has put me off... 

Top effort though, look forward to seeing what comes of it regardless :)

I have a pair Iain so I expect I'll come knocking on your door in due course! I was just speculating this afternoon about making the outer wing panels detachable - like the WNW Lanc - but the Lanc has a natural dihedral break whereas the Davis wing is continuous so it may not work, having said that, choose a rivet line and it might be do-able? Certainly, a camouflaged airframe would make it easier.

Simon

In unrelated news (with respect to wing fixes) these turned up in the post this morning.

I didn't know they were a 'thing' until I spotted them on Ebay, whilst searching for something completely unrelated the other day:

48b427_e30bf7b064eb40d48fa6735fb452a9de~

I also have the Vector engine and cowling set on the way - might arrive tomorrow.

Iain

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 5:14 PM, Julian Farian said:

Lain, No need to be stressed! I’m done with the wing! I finished it a few days before posting the video. Yes I clamped the leading edge, And I changed the Root tips as well. I will share pictures tomorrow. ( I will create a new forum.) have a great day! 

Julian,

Did you ever post pics of your modified wing?  I was curious as to how it looked compared to the kit wing.  Is there a major difference that is clearly visible? I as since i am ready to start my B-24 and am wondering if it is worth the effort to do the mod.

Greg