HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

I still have space at home - but idea is I do a few hours of 'Aeronut' stuff after work, three nights a week.

There's no chance of getting any decent space closer to home - we live in a very expensive part of the country and there's no way I could get space like this for the amount it's costing me.

Tools-wise I've just acquired a second Jun Air compressor - so will have airbrush stuff here - and at the 'office'.

It will actually force me to focus I think!  :)

Iain

Flooring is inherited - until last month the offices were home to a shared office space for small tech start-ups. Decor is down to the founders of that, who where designers - so the office has an arty feel to it - which actually grows on you!

I'm setting up a 6' wide photo backdrop and lighting in that white corner - I'll actually be able to fit the 1:200 Hood in there for photos!

Outside is grass, trees and space - it's a really nice location - especially in summer...

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, What a great build, I Am building it to and used all Eduard sets, metal .50 barrels, brass undercarriage. I want this to be as good as it can get. Still need resin wheels and the vacuum formed gun turrets. The last is a bit of a problem as I don't have PayPal no more. But I Am started on the wings and follow your lead. Could you be so kind to post the corrected wing spars onhere, please, 1 on 1 and talk us trough , like thickness, where to begin, etc, that would be a great help. Ty in advance.

Cheers Theo

• 2 weeks later...

OK - so first off - I'm going to move this out of the Group Build as there's no way she'll be complete before the end of the year.

But, on a more positive note - some progress there is...

It's taking a while to get relevant kit into the new work area - but have been able to make a start on the kit supplied 'spar' - modifying it to fit with the new wing formers.

This has to be done before I finalise the ribs for laser cutting.

So - ribs:

48b427_9f67b06422d74475acf842008ee31254~

Spar - with intitial mark-up for material to be removed - a start having been made at the front with a course sanding bar, and at the rear - which needs most of the upper section cutting down to almost the lower line at the rear to accomodate the lower wing trailing edge:

48b427_79e43119d3cd48e8a318dcd495e5980e~

48b427_6844fbc61e3b4542b996fb88b1050e30~

48b427_4af41f4e41bf40b6bfac2591da852c42~

48b427_90b1570685e747e1b1070e488245ff04~

I'll dig out my belt sander and shape the rear tomorrow - then adjust the rib drawings to match.

Hopefully on a roll now I have the space/tools.

Iain

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hiya,

Am afraid it's completely parked at present.

I was working on the kit wing spar to get it to work with the formers - and making good progress - until I ended up working from home two weeks ago.

The kit and wing parts are now 50 miles away and I'm not going anywhere as have 'at risk' family members at home - so staying put next 12 weeks at least.

Sorry!

If I had everything here it would be a good time to make some progress...

Stay safe everyone!

Iain

Hello Iain, 

Roger that, I'm also in self isolation since I'm in an 'at risk' group ( my wife kept beating this into my head until it finally sunk in!!), and we've had some of the "dreaded lurgi" symptoms, not to mention my Brother in law ( who lives some way away) was taken into hospital today with it: it's around, real and needs to be taken seriously, so stay safe, you can't be too careful.

I look forward to the time we can resume our big Lib builds with your excellent wing correction, you have NOTHING to apologise for, good Sir, on the contrary you have my thanks for going to the trouble of doing this correction and putting it out on the forum.

Kind regards

Captain Boogaloo

It's not good out there - everyone needs to stay put where possible - huge respect and thanks to all the medics/care workers/supply chain workers/military personnel etc., etc.. working so hard for all of us at the moment.

Liberator work will recommence - I so much want to get on with mine - and draw up parts to make a Privateer - just not at the moment.

Apart from the wing box - we're good to go on the individual formers I reckon.

I am trying to do other projects - but keeping enthusiasm going at present is difficult.

Iain

• 3 months later...

The other week I got across to the office/studio and one of the boxes I brought back was the Liberator and -  in somewhat shocking news - I have the Liberator out in front of me.

Funny how other projects have an influence - and looking at things with a fresh pair of eyes brings new perspective...

I've been trying to modify the kit spar to work with the formers - but that's proved *really* hard work as there's a lot of meat to be removed from the upper rear...

Also, the formers are a lot weaker with holes for the spar cut into them.

Then, aha, a plan!

One so cunning...

Perhaps...

Now, I've been trying to learn Rhino/Fusion 360 - and really need a fairly simple project to get on with.

I've also been looking at getting some 3D print equipment - inspired by the 3D Printed Andover I'm building elsewhere.

So - am off to try and draw up a new, plug and play, replacement wing spar - to be printed in ABS - and to have the revised wing profiles already drawn included as part of the spar.

Two pieces of 'spar box' to be fed in from the outside to lock in the middle - and long sections of revised profiles outboard all the way to the undercarriage bays.

Two additional separate formers to go either side of the gear bay boxes, and Bob may become your very confused aunty!

Of to have a play in Rhino, or Fusion 360 - I may be some time - but feeling inspired!  :coolio:

Iain