HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

Thank you, Out2.  When I was stationed at Air Force bases around the Dakotas, and living in Sioux Falls after I retired, I had ample opportunity to visit Omaha.  It is a great city!  The last time I was there was for a Film Premier of "The Greatest Weapon Ever Used" by John Mollison at the SAC Museum.  I got to introduce the film, and the museum itself is awe inspiring.  Talking with some Boeing Reps there, they were considering funding and sponsoring an interactive Minuteman capsule display.  I don't know what ever came of it.  Still, you have a great resource for your modeling there.  Sorry I went off topic.

Bob

Hi Mick,

Milling of plastic always superior to laser cut plastic in my experience too - but we're going to try laser cutting first as I think this will produce parts fit for purpose - bearing in mind they'll all be completely hidden within the wing.

*If* we get as far as producing a set, the modeller will still need to modify the wings, undercarriage bay sides and the kit supplied spar.

But the hard part of generating the corrected wing formers is done - let's hope it works!  :hmmm:

Will find out very soon...

Have fun - and thanks for everyone's continued interest/support/patience - I have lot's going on in life and models not a particular priority at present!

Iain

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 2:01 PM, mrsteve151 said:

How about making those sections available on pdf,i would like to have a go myself

I think that Iain would like to sell a kit of parts, which to be fair he has done all of the work to correct the kits wings, so to give you a PDF would like working for nothing.

Mick Gannon,I would sooner buy it as a kit myself.If you followed this thread this you would remember that earlier Iain said if he didn't release it as a set that it would be made available as a PDF.Sounds to me like it's been put on the back burner for who knows how long.My thought is something like if the new section pieces from the root up to the first nacelle were used then maybe the obvious wing root to fuselage join shape could at least be corrected.A sort of easy fix without having to do all the modifications to the rest of the wings.

Ever wish you'd never started a thread in the first place?  :hmmm:;)

Right - for the avoidance of any doubt, this is where we are:

Downloadable Drawings: Yes, as I've stated multiple times - I will make the profiles available as a download .pdf to all LSP members once they are all complete and I'm happy it all works.

Modification Kit: This is currently the plan and is being worked on in the background.

Other ideas that have been forthcoming from readers: I think I've come up with the easiest solution that will vastly improve the look of the wing - from root to tip. I'm also working on new wingtips to cast in resin - these will be less than half the thickness of the kit wing tips. I've thought through all available/practicable options - trust me...

Timescales: I make no promises at all - this is (currently) my hobby (but see below) and has to fight for time with work, family and everything else. If you don't see an update it's because I have nothing solid to update - not that the project is parked.

The Aeronut - and going commercial: Part of the delay in anything moving forward has been due to an opportunity I've had through my day job: the availability of some proper studio space for me to build, design, play, photograph etc., but it's taking me a while to get all my kit from home to the new space. However, once everything is across I will be spending my evenings, three days a week, ensconced in the studio working on things like this. Work is 45 miles from home - so I can't just move everything over at once.

There's also a key driver - I'm paying for this new space - so I now have to generate revenue to pay for it!  :)

48b427_aa4cb5819f7b4eaba04ca6f38b3c8fab~

Somewhat fittingly - this is in an old WRAF block on a long-disused former wartime RAF aerodrome!

More news as soon as I have something solid to report - I'm still working through the most sensible way to modify the kit spar to work with the modded wings.

:)

Iain