HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

So what about the J in Kermiys walkthrough video which I think is the same bird featured in Ian Allen's "The Soldier" as the cockpit bulkhead is present so it's a case of either or really.

I think I'm leaving mine intact on my build but not sure whether to depict the navigators station in the nose or behind the cockpit.

Regards  Andy 

Hello Guys...

I did a little research from the few books I have on B-24s, and it is my opinion that, just like every other aircraft produced during the war, interior changes were ubiquitous and probably differed between batch numbers.  That being said, the rapid pace of technology with radios being a particular weak point in all aircraft, along with field modifications and the requirements of British vs American assigned aircraft (I am almost positive the British would have installed their own radios), it is anyone's guess what a particular aircraft's radio compartment bulkhead would look like.  In my opinion, radios would have been a mission essential requirement for Coastal Command Aircraft, and they might have installed backup equipment which would take up more room and more bulkhead space.  I do agree that the bulkheads were plywood, and were made in multiple pieces and simple shapes.

If you can find a picture of the aircraft you are modeling, that would be great, if not perhaps another aircraft in the squadron.  There are so few examples left to model from and to be sure they have been hacked apart (modified) for whatever post war use they were required to perform; from fire bombing to fire ant spraying to transporting produce.  What the aircraft looked like when it left the factory, may not be what it looked like in the field.

Just remember, if you can't find a picture that is satisfactory to show that area, either can anyone else.

Bob

That is a fantastic picture!  M Models were different that previous models, but I don't know exactly in what respects other than the later "Ms" had a redesigned two piece windscreen rather than the 3 Piece.  Note the Aluminum (Aluminium for speakers of proper English) bulkhead.  Done up in RAAF colors, I know that many B-24s were used in Australia for Photo Reconnaissance work as well as bombing missions. Note also that the bulkhead is held in place by machine screws and nuts, not rivets, thus making an easy change of configuration possible.

I just finished reading "Kangaroo Squadron" by Bruce Gamble about the early days of the fight by USAAF (and RAAF personnel) Bomber Squadrons in Australia.  Although it deals mostly with B-17 E Models, (including Swamp Ghost), it goes into detail on the allies' efforts to stand up fighting squadrons against what seemed to be an eminent Japanese attack. 

Brilliant photo!

Wings: Apologies - ran out of time at the weekend to take photos as I had to fix one of my cars and got sidetracked.

However, looks like the new formers can be integrated with the existing structure - am now thinking through the necessary openings in them to allow a modified kit wing spar to fit through them and give the correct wing positioning when viewed from the front and the side.

Will try and get some images posted at the weekend.

Iain

Right - a little rough and ready - but formers placed in position on modified upper starboard wing.

Hopefully these photos will illustrate the direction I'm heading in - and pleased to report that only the outer former needed any tweaking to fit from the shapes I'd drawn up.

48b427_737083d144d546d898e6f013bcaad4b2~

Note the modifications to moulded reinforcement sections in the wing - root to tip reinforcement webs left intact at present - except were I've had to cut channels for new formers.

Front to rear reinforcements - inner half of wing almost completely removed apart from at the very leading edge (to give something solid for the initial bonding point) - outer half just the rear half of each web.

The outer root to tip web on the upper wing section may need reducing in depth - and that on the lower half removing completely - details to be confirmed.

48b427_b04cfec84df44181b6d1dbcdacf3c98f~

Note - wing not bent/bonded around formers in the above photo!

48b427_60c655f0b6b846a684286fa2d20b317a~

Now looking at mods needed to the outer sides of the undercarriage bay as this will need reshaping to match new wing profile in this area.

Still thinking through kit main-spar to new former integration - need more coffee first...

Yes - this has taken a long time to get to this stage - but now the profiles are done - modification to subsequent wings *should* be straightforward.

We'll see!

Iain

5 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I never read, or might have missed it Iain, are you planning to sell this in any (even a raw) capacity?

Possibly...

Have been discussing possible laser cutting of plastic sheet with a very knowledgeable friend - added to which I *may* be getting access to some proper 'studio' space/workshop where I work - but absolutely no guarantees at present.

You never know, this *could* be the first model accessory from the Aeronut!  :piliot:

As an absolute minimum the designs will be available as a download .pdf to LSP members, so they can do what I've done with the prototype parts you see here and use to cut out new formers by hand.

Whatever happens it will be announced here first - once I've got a set of wings suitably modded.  :)

Iain

A PDF scaling would be awesome, as of course would be a "Kit" from Aeronut.  What you have done shows great promise and I am sure that all the bugs will be properly sorted.  I am thinking that the aftermarket parts have dried up from the global distributors, (excepting of course what has already been done), as the wings on this plane were just too much to overcome for the scale "purist" to shell out over $200 USD for PE and resin details for a kit that will ever look quite right.  

Those of us who are lucky enough to have found this forum, and had the patience to wait, we will have some beautiful planes.  I sincerely hope that more Decals/Paint masks will become available to expand the various schemes of this model, but I won't be holding my breath.

A really nice job, Iain.  Good on you!

Bob

1 hour ago, MajorG said:

A PDF scaling would be awesome, as of course would be a "Kit" from Aeronut.  What you have done shows great promise and I am sure that all the bugs will be properly sorted.  I am thinking that the aftermarket parts have dried up from the global distributors, (excepting of course what has already been done), as the wings on this plane were just too much to overcome for the scale "purist" to shell out over $200 USD for PE and resin details for a kit that will ever look quite right.  

Those of us who are lucky enough to have found this forum, and had the patience to wait, we will have some beautiful planes.  I sincerely hope that more Decals/Paint masks will become available to expand the various schemes of this model, but I won't be holding my breath.

A really nice job, Iain.  Good on you!

Bob

Well said Bob