HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, Iain (32SIG) said:

If there's anyone in the UK that's after one of these kits - the Model Kits For Less Facebook page has a batch available for only £90 - including postage:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2779750995372694&set=gm.1253066511539299&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Iain

Wow that’s cheap!

On 7/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, Ryan said:

We are not all bad in Florida. :)

Yeah, but you're North Florida. I've run into people that think Pensacola is in Alabama. One of those people was from Alabama! I grew up in Gulf Breeze, which sounds too much like Gulf Shores to outsiders.

Miami, Orlando, and the Keys are all anyone really cares about.

Edited by CATCplSlade

With all of your work on the wings coming along very nicely Iain, will you be attaching them to the fuselage as per the kit instructions or do you think removing the locating pins and relying on sliding the completed wing on to the wing spar will be good enough?

Regards. Andy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest, how's your build going?

Meanwhile, a quick update on my build...

I *think* I'm happy with the profiles - so two sets cut from 60 thou (1.5mm) sheet styrene - hopefully get a chance to trial fit later today.

48b427_357b39274a7a4814842f254a22524958~

A start made on the interior components - wanted to test fit and work out what needed doing. A few ejector pin marks to address - but on the plus side I think I can add some wheel weights in the false gap between the cockpit floor - and top of the front gear bay.

48b427_cc7bf3ee21354a9eafb8800107890018~

48b427_45eb7b09d5f742809be872196f3b0961~

48b427_d719064fd25647adb01640dbb0b087df~

More later today (perhaps).

Iain

Although I am not an expert on the B-24 interior, and I agree that framing is missing, might that be because there would be visible insulation padding there and the ribs really wouldn't show?

Perhaps HB was expecting the aftermarket companies to offer detail in this very visible area?  What IS missing is the various interiors offered by Eduard and etc. as they were for the HKM B-17s.  I have been waiting to start my build until the wing gets sorted out and there is (if ever) an aftermarket waist interior detail set.

I think Iain has done a magnificent job of sorting the wing and such, if it weren't for his efforts, I would have shelved any idea of building this model long ago.

Bob

Home alone this weekend (Anne and Cameron off to Scout Camp) - so plan is to try and get formers glued in place - with relevant cut-outs sorted for the spar - along with modified kit spar - and new sheet plastic outer spars.

My thoughts will hopefully make sense when you see the photos...

Another thought - and wondering what you lot think:

Cockpit rear bulkhead - was about to start removing ejector pin marks and looking for ref. photos - I'm now not convinced this was a solid panel as moulded...

This appears to be backed up on the 360deg interior view of the B-24D in the USAF Museum - or has this one just had panels removed?

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-1.html

Anyone?

Iain

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Cockpit rear bulkhead - was about to start removing ejector pin marks and looking for ref. photos - I'm now not convinced this was a solid panel as moulded...

You are correct Iain, it is incorrect in the kit. Your reference photo is accurate... it was merely a frame, with some plywood panels added that radio equipment was affixed to. It should be mostly open into the engineer's station behind the cockpit.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA