HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

3 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Oh - and just realised I haven't published the lengthy review I wrote up at Christmas - sorry - will try and fix that this week, if there's still interest...

Yes please!

Oooh - postie just delivered a neat little brown envelope with two sets of Airscale B-24 Liberator instrument panels...

Amazingly fast delivery - and great quality (as always).

Piccie from the Airscale website:

1010362174.jpg

Have to head into the office just now - or I'd be getting sidetracked with cockpits...

Iain

OK - this is where I'm at at present with the aerofoil formers - still draft as I now need to make sheet plastic copies and confirm what the internal cut-out shapes need to be for the wing spar after it's modified.

Once that's done I should be able to give relevant root to tip dimensions, along with details of spar mods to accomodate new wing shape.

All these profiles allow for 1.89mm average plastic 'skin' thickness - apart from the tip profile, which is the outside (surface) dimension and doesn't allow for plastic thickness.

Also note - the .jpg is not properly scaled at present (although line drawings are done at correct size) - outer border is A4 - but no guarantees it will print at correct size - I will share final as a .pdf for anyone interested to download.

48b427_64b0f7d76a874000acef105e9e5cc594~

Top is root, #2 at next moulded wing former, #3 at next - abutting inner edge of gear bay, #4 abutting outer edge of gear bay.

48b427_7be2afafff4b4411ad79e4bc4a6a153d~

Have fun,

Iain

Looks like you're keeping the webbing that runs along the wing and removing the webbing that goes leading edge to trailing edge.So then the corrected parts will be a slotted fit to the lengthways ribbing.Some right angle section could then be used to assure the new ribs are at a right angle as well as adding strength.Have I got it right.That would be the easiest way I would think too.

Yup - more, or less...

I'll have to make some more changes - but hopefully will get a chance to cut some of the new aerofoil formers out of sheet styrene at the weekend and offer up - plans may then change depending on results.

Hold my beer...  ;)

The root to tip webs will need their depths altering - especially towards the tips, as they will be considerably thinner than the kit!

I also need to work out how to suitable mod the kit 'wing spar' to work with the new formers/wing cross-section.

Iain

I would suggest using halving joints same as used in carpentry.Also to accommodate reducing wing thickness along it's length use a couple of thick pieces one slightly smaller than the other for the formers.As the wing is bent into it's new cross section shape I presume the angle of the spar(s)will change a bit too.So the cut out(slot)in the former will be at a different angle too.Perhaps I would place a set of formers with some thick plastic right angle pieces glued on them in position,then using clamps pull the wing into shape as I went,glueing it as it contacted the right angled pieces either side of the former.I can provide a basic diagram if it would make things any clearer. 

The description above is based on using the upper wing half.Once it was pulled/bent into shape around the new formers and fully dried I would glue the lower wing onto that assembly which would then be taped/clamped to form the new cross section shape.