HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

Looking forward to the update.  Based solely on your pictures I have eyeballed and made the inner most rib for the wing solution.  I have yet to start the build waiting instead to see what the after-market community comes up with for engines, waist and turret detail.  Eduard has put out their Cockpit and seat belt PE sets with Under carriage and engine PE sets to follow.  I hope Brassin or someone comes up with a good engine set as they did for the B-17.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the way to go is make it so the parts slot and glue together to form a rigid frame which the wing halves can be formed around.I would put the wing halves on the frame then using tape pull down the leading edge first then the trailing edge,After that I would glue along the leading edge then the trailing edge.Might make it easier if left in the sun a little while to make it a little softer and more flexible too.Maybe even keep the assembled wings warm for a while so they conform to the new shape,rather than trying to spring back to their original shape.

I bought a second set of upper wings and will experiment using the pictures and guidance Iain has already provided.  There are so many possibilities with this kit depending on how accurate you want to be.  I have also bought a Vector Resin P&W R 1830 engine kit to check fitment inside the kit cowling.    I haven't decided how much detail I will add other than the cockpit and wheel well areas.  I will probably detail the turret's (Vacuformed aftermarket) interiors, upgrade the Norden bombsight , and if there becomes available a PE Waist detail set, do that as well.

As it is summer (finally) and I have my other garage projects (including restoring a 1940's Erie Gas Pump) my build on this model has been shelved until cooler weather drives me inside.

I hope this finds everyone well, and I look forward to Iain's next post as well.

Bob

Today I have been mostly working on wing profiles (again) and addressing the elephant in the room - the undercarriage bay.

This is a really neatly designed unit (each side) - but, of course, it's designed to fit the wing thickness/profile in the kit - and not the reprofiled, thinner, wing we should end up with.

To that end I've dry assembled the outer gear bay box for the starboard wing - my test piece for the surgery - and been planning how to progress.

48b427_c3296fdfc8dd4592b613963e255ea64e~

48b427_7be2afafff4b4411ad79e4bc4a6a153d~

48b427_cc9cc3731d6345959c4b103cdc15f576~

48b427_1845e1a316c54c44ab1e2146d64e333f~

In the kit the combination of solid gear bay 'box', strong wing spar and wing strengthening webs results in a very solid structure.

The plan is to retain as much of this strength as possible - whilst getting the appropriate cross-sectional profile.

I think I now have it...

Previously decided the main 'spar' can be re-profiled to suit by removing material.

Replacement wing formers I've drawn up will also act as profiles to reshape the inner and outer gear bay formers (to the left and right in photos) to give the correct profile - and the upper roof of the gear bay, with it's moulded ribs, can be bent to suit and attached.

Rear section of gear bay will need to be reduced in height (dimensions to be confirmed) - and some of the gear bay internal components re-shaped (this will have to wait until I have the rest sorted).

Plan leaves the solid undercarriage mounts exactly as they are, position-wise, as originally kitted - so no issues with undercarriage position, angle, or height.

Maybe another update on the wings later today after I've started to play with replacement formers.

Happy kit butchering!

Iain

In other news, and for the sake of my sanity, I'm making a parallel start on the fuselage interior...

I may have mentioned before, but the kit is a bit of a 'curates egg' - and here's a case in point.

To avoid losing internal rib detail on the upper rear fuselage due to undercut issues, the designers have included separate inserts in order to keep detail sharp.

48b427_28536f65cffd44f382551f14e8459cc3~

48b427_6bcdab71a41941d6a1b7445786cb6e4b~

48b427_ab786b6aee554d1fa96c9510b832cb29~

Whilst it is a little 'clunky' I'm not going to worry too much about the interior - just concentrate on what's visible - but get the shape/look of the exterior right if I can.

Need to order some Airscale panels now, methinks!  :)

Oh - and just realised I haven't published the lengthy review I wrote up at Christmas - sorry - will try and fix that this week, if there's still interest...

Iain