HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

OK - sat and worked out the thickness/chord ratios at the next moulded webs in the kit wing - working out from the root (where root is web #1) - these are (all to 2 decimal places) - with kit dimensions:

• Web #2 20.85% - kit wing chord 123mm - so overall wing thickness needs to be 25.65mm at this point.
  • Web #3 19.71% - kit wing chord 115mm - so thickness needs to be 22.67mm
  • Web #4 16.98% - kit wing chord 100mm - so thickness needs to be 16.98mm

Last two are the one's either side of the gear bay - I don't think any more will be needed.

I will also allow for a reduction in wing incidence - approx 1 deg less from web #1 (root) to web #4 (outer edge of gear bay).

Next step is to use the airfoil generator tool to create the different Davis profiles for the three stations - thickness/chord ratios - sizes listed above - then remove the allowance for wing plastic thickness, and then mark out to fit moulded wing.

*Should* be straightforward now I've done the number crunching.

Once I have these done I can work out how much to taper the moulded in 'spar' in the upper wing to reduce the tip thickness.

Probably doesn't mean a lot to readers at this stage - but makes sense for me to write down here as much as anywhere, so I have them to refer back to!  :)

Have fun...

Iain

18 minutes ago, RonGUSA said:

HURRY UP Iain I'm having severe withdrawal symptoms from not seeing your build updates.:BANGHEAD2: :please::shrug:p:popcorn:

:)

Hi Ron, you posted that while I was writing my last update post  :P

If I can get the next three profiles drawn up this week I should be able to post pictures next weekend - and have a wing shape that's pretty sorted - at least to my eyes, if nobody else's! :frantic:

My Spitfire work has had to take priority...

Iain

Hi Iain,

Marvellous mathematical work!  Will you be posting the profiles once you have time to prepare them?

I've glued the tail plane pieces together on my '24 (sort of sneaking up on it from the back end...lol) and I'm looking forward to working up my wings based on your calculations!

Ted

LOL - I'm afraid it's the amateur engineer in me - I like to work the numbers as this should give a solid foundation for the modifications.

Oh - and I have assumed a linear transition in thickness chord ratios - from the 22% at root - to 9.7% at tip - but I can't see it being any more complex than that!  :)

Ted - yes - plan is to put together a .pdf sheet with the templates for anyone that wants to have a go.

Also thinking of producing a 'kit' with drawings, laser cut formers in 2mm HIPS and rein cast replacement tips - if there's sufficient interest to make it worthwhile.

Caveat - things like this take a little time - and my priorities are elsewhere at this point.

Iain

Hi Iain,

I would certainly be interested in a wing kit, although the .pdf former templates and following your build thread would work too, as I know you're a pretty busy guy...lol

I'm ordering the Airscale IP kit today so that I can get to work on the interior.

Question for you.  Can the spar be glued into place and then modified to deal with the wing change after the fuselage is together?

Looking forward to your build and fixes.

Talk to you soon,

Ted

I'd be interested in a "kit" myself Iain. I'd likely not try to form my own templates, and would probably leave things as they are. But if I had a kit with pre-cut formers, I might be more apt to have a go at it.

• 4 weeks later...

lain, great start dealing with the problems you see.  You can put me down a wing kit.  I don't have the J yet still holding out for the D but if you can come up with a wing kit that would probably make me buy a J along with later down the road of picking up other things to fix problems on kit.  Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the past hour or so reading and digesting this thread, and believe it is an uncomplicated way to fix a glaring oversight.  Iain, thank you for the time and effort spent determining a great way to go about this fix.  The solution is brilliant.  If you produce a kit of wing formers, I too would be interested in it.  In a former life, I was a US Air Force Officer assigned as a launch officer to the 742 Strategic Missile Squadron commanding Minuteman III ICBMs during the Cold War.  My Squadron's heritage was directly linked to that of the 455th Bomb Group, 742nd Bomb Squadron which flew B-24 H/J aircraft out of Italy, 1943-1945.  My plan is to build one of the 742nd BS aircraft, although I haven't chosen the particular plane.  The 455th BG commanded the 740, 741, 742, and 743rd Squadrons.  Senator George McGovern (and Presidential candidate) from South Dakota was a pilot in the 741st BS.  I may even do the plane he flew most.

I am just getting into the forum adventure, and look forward to more posts from all of you Wizards and Plastic Kit Phenoms to get even more enjoyment from this hobby.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...