HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

2 minutes ago, executor70 said:

Was there a problem with the kit gear?  Why did you switch to these?  What is the advantage?

With the size and weight of a model like this, Its generally thought that the extra strength would go a long way to making sure a model like this doesn't collapse after years of possibly setting on the stock OOB gear.

1 minute ago, Out2gtcha said:

With the size and weight of a model like this, Its generally thought that the extra strength would go a long way to making sure a model like this doesn't collapse after years of possibly setting on the stock OOB gear.

Okay so this is a theory, not any real life issue.......

As Brian states - really just additional strength.

I *suspect* the kit gear may well be up to the job, although the insert sections provided in the kit look like they were originally intended to be some sort of die cast metal, rather than the plastic parts supplied in the kit.

I'm also doing a Privateer that will be heavier - so thought I'd best go for strongest option!

Will try and post some photos later today of the brass items - and how well they fit with the kit parts.

Iain

The question of metal gear reinforcement is an interesting one. In other Trumpeter/Hobbyboss kits you have the same injection moulded undercarriage 'core' elements but you also get a set of white metal parts and are expected to use the metal, much as Tamiya do with some of their kits. It looks as though HB either 'forgot' or decided to save some money. Ali has jumped into the breach and done what HB failed to do and I for one am very glad because I would hate to think the wheels may end up either breaking off at the axles or bowing inwards and the brass replacements mean its not an issue and having saved so much compared to a similar HKM kit, we have plenty of aftermarket that we can add to the kit and still get nowhere near the HKM sort of price. I have one set if brass legs in the 'J' kit box and a second set on order for the inevitable B-24D ! Now I want to see what Eduard are going to pull out of a hat - apart from colour etch interior sets. They did B-17 wheels - which Iain is using for his B-24 - and so I suspect a B-24 set will be the next step but I am intrigued about whether they will do replacement resin turrets. Time will tell!

Simon

Apologies for lack of photos earlier in the week - simply ran out of time...

I'll do a separate review tomorrow - but, in the mean-time, some shots with the kit parts.

The new brass inserts are direct copies of the inserts in the kit - albeit a tiny fraction smaller due to material shrinkage - nothing that's not easily fixed when fitting to the plastic outer sections:

48b427_88296c71e1a646d7a0b0e604e1aaeae7~

48b427_a0ee571ba43a4f719f96f97236dd551e~

I have some doubts over the shape of the HobbyBoss kit leg - but still working through that one and have not had time to evaluate/compare properly.

48b427_45fd5ac6b2ad4d82a1d1d243e9e48458~

And with an Eduard 'B-17' wheel:

48b427_2da9433803d842febd5409d0e58c5e49~

Nose leg:

48b427_6a13985b536d4bd9aaa1316a74b4fd50~

Off to do some more Spitfire stickers - but hopefully will get a little more time on the Liberator wings later this weekend.

Have fun!

Iain

5 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Apologies for lack of photos earlier in the week - simply ran out of time...

I'll do a separate review tomorrow - but, in the mean-time, some shots with the kit parts.

The new brass inserts are direct copies of the inserts in the kit - albeit a tiny fraction smaller due to material shrinkage - nothing that's not easily fixed when fitting to the plastic outer sections:

48b427_88296c71e1a646d7a0b0e604e1aaeae7~

48b427_a0ee571ba43a4f719f96f97236dd551e~

I have some doubts over the shape of the HobbyBoss kit leg - but still working through that one and have not had time to evaluate/compare properly.

48b427_45fd5ac6b2ad4d82a1d1d243e9e48458~

And with an Eduard 'B-17' wheel:

48b427_2da9433803d842febd5409d0e58c5e49~

Nose leg:

48b427_6a13985b536d4bd9aaa1316a74b4fd50~

Off to do some more Spitfire stickers - but hopefully will get a little more time on the Liberator wings later this weekend.

Have fun!

Iain

Hey Iain

Did he remove the 1,2,3 numbers from the legs before he cast them? Also check out my comment in 1 to 1's post on LSM about the tires and wheels. You can use Aires P-38 main wheels/tires for the front tire and wheel tgey both used 36SC tires.

Ron G 

Hi Ron,

Numbers removed on the brass castings - but you'll still need to drill out the loops either side of the main-gear axles.

Interesting - hadn't thought about P-38 main wheels for nose wheel - downside is they are braked units - and I want to do them without covers. I have a P-61 unit - but that's not the standard B-24 hub pattern.

You may have given me an idea though...

<wanders off to dig out P-38 kit>

Iain