HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

No pressure then...  :P

Trying to get the basic kit review finished for LSP at the moment - it's becoming quite expansive!

I was planning to do a tweaks list as part of it - but if I wait until we've discovered most of them it'll be delayed by some time I reckon. So, what's in the box, with thoughts I have to date will be what you get.

Am I still pleased to see a 1:32 Liberator? I am indeed.

Does it have issues? Yes.

Are they fixable? Yes, with a little modelling work I think most are...

Did I waste my money purchasing two? Nope - still a happy bunny  :)

Model on LSP dudes!  :beer4:

Iain

Iain,

i wonder if the wing conversion set you are developing could consist of a fixed rigid template that would glue to the fuselage with slots cut into it for the main (modified) spar to pass through.

Instead of forcing wing in shape off the fuselage it could be done to a fixed shape on the fuselage.

Juat a thought I’m sure you are way ahead of me.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Funnily enough - that's where I started!  :)

Whilst the root/fuselage interface is the most obvious manifestation of the wing airfoil issue, to get the best result the wing needs shaping along it's span - so you'd still need to add formers.

In addition - you'd need to remove the reinforcement web moulded in at the wing root - the method I'm using uses the front part of this to bond to the new fomer (on the wing, rather than fuselage side of the reinforcement web) - and this will keep the nacelles at the right angle whilst the rest on the wing cross section is changed.

Hopefully I can post some photos that make more sense of it over the weekend (but Spitfire project takes priority).

Expectation: I've had a few messages about a 'conversion set' - I need to clarify where I am at, at this stage:

• What I'm confident I can provide is a downloadable file for other's to use to create ready-to-fit formers from styrene sheet. I have two-sets of wings to correct for my own use, so it makes sense for me to draw up anyway.
  • What I *may* be able to provide is a set of pre-cut formers, with the possibility of replacement tips in resin - but, at the moment, I really don't know if that can/will happen - so please don't get any hopes up!

As stated before - I'm trying to avoid the pressure of having to deliver something like this as it could suck the fun out of the project for me!

Have fun!

Iain

Yes Iain absolutely understand the fun suck as you mention.

My choice of wording (conversion set) was probably wrong as you don’t owe any of us anything.

if you see fit to show a pic or two or a full scale PDF drawing, I’d be more than happy to pay for your efforts.

Ryan

PS Thanks for the further technical explanation too!

Profile data I'll be happy to share as a FOC download with LSP members (for non-commercial use) :)

It's what the forums are about!

Never say never on a set of parts - just trying to manage expectation!  :coolio:

Most of the work will be removing moulded in material on the kit wings to interface with the airfoil formers, as well as the thickness taper towards the tips.

Iain

11 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:
  • What I *may* be able to provide is a set of pre-cut formers, with the possibility of replacement tips in resin.......

As stated before - I'm trying to avoid the pressure of having to deliver something like this as it could suck the fun out of the project for me!

Might be a perfect offering for "LSP Productions" . ;)

Cheers,

D.B.

Positive conversation with fellow forum member (and resident technical boffin) the other night regarding laser cutting the wing profiles - so aim to crack on and try to get base profiles drawn up this weekend - but, of course this also means addressing the thickness taper from root to tip as well.

Very happy with root shape now - will try and take/post some photos later today - not for the squeamish, I've removed a lot of material from the lower wing half!

Also took delivery of some rather special parts applicable to the anti-sub Liberators - more later...  :coolio:

Iain

OK - photos time...

Special parts delivery I mentioned earlier?

Well, that was a box of 3D printed depth charges suitable for the maritime patrol Liberators, designed and printed by Tim Perry (wunwinglo), Flying Start Models - to an incredibly high standard.

Two types - the Mk VIII and Mk XI:

48b427_d70d56b0eedf43a1b334f61f944e7d93~

48b427_042ce1854d694315838b31abc5fd4bba~

Look out for a review of these, and other items soon.

These will be available from Tim's website in the near future.

Back in a mo...

Iain

Back to the wings...

Wing tips lopped off by cutting along the relevant panel line with a fresh scalpel blade - taking care and multiple passes, the plastic is pretty thick.

We'll come back to the tips shortly and concentrate on the main body of the wing just now...

Strengthening webs removed completely from the rear half of the lower starboard wing, using Tamiya side-cutters followed up with some coarse sanding boards:

48b427_ef60851da4db41f9afaa399bf7a84f4d~

Comparison with port-side equivalent:

48b427_f797ca4b8d9640bba906c4c8b163c154~

And current gap at rear - this will grow as we still have more material to remove from the upper-surface moulding:

48b427_8c3d2bd837ba41f384e1ee0584e7e772~

But - wing root - shape pretty well sorted now!

Note - none of the webs further along have been cut yet - so there is a twist in the wing - this will go as we move down the wing with formers.

First image - as kit - with some material removed - behind former:

48b427_3cab4e54c3f742eca6ab9fe6dda35b44~

Upper and Lower wing sections wrapped around former - rear upper surface of wing will be straighter once bonded:

48b427_25c5a637b14148cd87fc5f7b8408adc9~

Better?

Iain

Cheers Ryan...

More work ahead - but really confident of a working solution now!  :)

Wing tips: earlier in the thread I mentioned the tip thickness - and this is one of the reasons I'm doing so much work on the wings.

Thickness of the kit wing at the tip panel line is 11.66mm

Chord is 50.79mm

Thickness/Chord ratio on Davis B-24 wing at tip - 9.3%

So - 9.3% of 50.79mm = 4.72mm - not the 11.66mm measured!!

Of course a picture is worth a thousand words (or 2 thousand of mine!), port wing tip:

48b427_68ddbc734c134eeba62d306f4c3511ea~

But the real givaway is looking at the tip cross section:

48b427_f971a599d6644c679ae84b6a1b6ff08f~

I'll be removing about 6mm depth (about half the kit thickness) to make things look a whole lot better - removing the wing strengthening webs, as shown in my previous post, is just the start of that.

Of course, the knock-on is the alierons and flaps are too thick and will need fixing too - but let's get the wings sorted first...

Right - off to put more stickers on a certain Spitfire.

Have fun!

Iain