HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

3 hours ago, Big Tony said:

Hiya Iain,

I have just heard from my friend Franta at DK Decals that he has managed to squeeze another option onto his forthcoming sheet for the Liberator and it is the RCAF Sharkmouth,.... as it looked before the face was added.

32007_B24_RAF_1

Please let us know when those come out as I could be convinced to get a Lib at that point. 

Carl

On 1/3/2019 at 10:52 PM, Big Tony said:

Re the bomb bay rockets,...... they were a development of having the rockets fitted to the side of the nose. Instead a folding array was built up which meant that the rockets could be carried inside the bomb bay instead, thus causing less drag and they could be swiftly folded out from the bomb bay to fire when needed,......have a look at this thread;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034228-raf-cc-liberator-rocket-installations/

And Eduard do a set in 1/72nd scale for the Lib, this shows in its deployed state,... I think that the rockets could be re loaded in flight too;

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10521225

OB2.jpg

Also re the RCAF Lib with the large face on the nose,...... by the time this was painted on it was used in the Met. Recce role and the Leigh Light had been removed. The antennae on the side of the nose was different too.

Cheers

Tony

That’s super cool information but as we all know 1/32 is a completely different kettle of fish to 1/72.

the liberties with details you can take in the weeny scale just aren’t there in 1/32 in my view 

i cant see anyone doing that conversion, but *I can* see someone doing the ‘wings’ and rockets for a D version.

happens to look a lot cooler as well :coolio:

Lack of updates last few days - still thinking through the full changes to the wing - but I think I have a full solution worked out that gives the correct cross sectional profile and angle of incidence, whilst also giving the correct thickness taper towards the tip (and slight wash-out).

48b427_304953b9884d41398b14bfe6af277006~

It will involve a lot of moulded in plastic material from the wings though, plus a little brute force.

Also pretty certain I'll have to remove the wing tip sections to deal with separately.

Oh - and the chord of the wing as kitted may be a little narrow by a couple of mm - need to corroborate - but I may just ignore this as being not particularly noticeable.

All good fun!

Iain

Fantastic project Iain!

I've just got my hands on the kit today and while I won't be starting it for quite a while yet, I am following your progress with much interest. As you know, I'm keen keen to hack into a model if there is a reason to do it, and I feel doing what you are here is entirely something that I will do too. 

Very interested to see how your efforts turn out, and many thanks for taking the plunge and sharing your work!

Cheers,

Craig

Cheers Craig,

I *think* I'm heading somewhere...

Needed a mind-out whilst watching telly job tonight - so have been sat cutting away webs from the rear half of the starboard wing - along with the wing tips - to provide a better taper from wing root to tip.

The wing is way over-engineered - but in some ways this will help.

Happy to report that the flex in the lower wing is now good - and both upper and lower wing halves now conform to the new airfoil section perfectly at the root, when taped around the former.

Need to smooth off affected areas now - and do some more prep to webs on the upper surface - then I can get all the formers drawn up and done along the wing.

No photos tonight - but will try and post a good update at the weekend.

I *think* this will work - not *absolutely* micrometer perfect, but close enough to improve the look hugely IMHO.

Watch this space!

Iain

On 1/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, LSP_Ron said:

That's a great pic,  I didn't realize it had such predominant wash out from root to tip

That's not really a fair picture with regard to wash-out - which is probably only a couple of degrees on the chord line.

The change in airfoil profile along the wing makes it look extreme in that photo - the airfoil is a *lot* flatter towards the tip than the root.

Iain