HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

1 minute ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Hiya Tony,

Great to have you chip in!!

It was your threads on Britmodeller that I found after seeing the scheme on the Eduard instructions - I linked to one of them earlier in the thread.  :)

Not fully decided yet - but certainly leaning towards this scheme - and your build is inspirational!

The frosting on the nose turret is a non-issue really - polishes out really easily - but, as you say, the joint and locator pins really spoil it.

Iain

Cheers Iain,

Glad you found it of interest mate. I was going to build my 1/32nd Lib as an RAF SEAC aircraft but due to the turret problems I`m thinking of doing a 100 Group RAF one instead, then I can just paint over the turret! 

Anyway I`ll stop hogging your excellent thread,

All the best,

Tony

Re the bomb bay rockets,...... they were a development of having the rockets fitted to the side of the nose. Instead a folding array was built up which meant that the rockets could be carried inside the bomb bay instead, thus causing less drag and they could be swiftly folded out from the bomb bay to fire when needed,......have a look at this thread;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034228-raf-cc-liberator-rocket-installations/

And Eduard do a set in 1/72nd scale for the Lib, this shows in its deployed state,... I think that the rockets could be re loaded in flight too;

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10521225

OB2.jpg

Also re the RCAF Lib with the large face on the nose,...... by the time this was painted on it was used in the Met. Recce role and the Leigh Light had been removed. The antennae on the side of the nose was different too.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Big Tony

I have been checking info in the book:

About the Leigh light. Only 3 aircraft in 10(BR) and the same number in 11(BR) had it. No info if 3724 ever had one.

For the face, the shark mouth was painted in the spring of 1945. The face added by the summer "several months before it was assigned to the EAC met flight..."

Alain 

Iain I've a question. When tilting this wing back, it moves the engine up, (and wheels forward slightly?).. are you needing to correcting this? Looking at the drawings Alain Gadbois posted, I didnt realise the engine it was facing up, but are the wheels OK? Sorry if I've missed this.. not seen it mentioned.

Really want a B-24, and i'm weighing up whether or not I'd be up for correcting the wing... 

49 minutes ago, Radders said:

Iain I've a question. When tilting this wing back, it moves the engine up, (and wheels forward slightly?).. are you needing to correcting this? Looking at the drawings Alain Gadbois posted, I didnt realise the engine it was facing up, but are the wheels OK? Sorry if I've missed this.. not seen it mentioned.

Really want a B-24, and i'm weighing up whether or not I'd be up for correcting the wing... 

Hiya Radleigh,

This doesn't tilt the wing back! It moves the trailing edge down - and flattens the upper and lower wing surfaces.  :)

I probably should have been clearer; *if* this mod works there is *no* change to the leading edge/upper nacelle position with respect to the fuselage.

The formers are bonded to the leading edge first, then the rear of the wing is bent down to meet the new profile and bonded.

The leading edge/upper nacelles aren't moved.

That is why, in the test piece photo earlier, I've marked out the 'box' for the modified kit spar box. The relationship between the wing box and the nacelles isn't changed.

The photo that shows the wing taped roughly to new shape - the upper nacelle does appear to point up more - this is a function of only playing with the extreme root at present - because the other moulded webs are still unbroken - and new formers not yet added along the wing - it has imparted a twist seen in that photo - which won't be in the final wing.

The kit already has a 1 deg incidence built into the way the wing spar box fits through the fuselage - so in the kit the nacelles do, indeed, point slightly upwards as it comes in the box - by about 1 degree.

I still have to confirm that is correct - I'd rather get that from empirical data than scaling up a drawing!

Yes - the undercarriage trunnion (and possibly other things) will need adjusting when fitting to the undercarriage bay, in order to get the correct angles - but I haven't got that far yet! :frantic:

Hopefully that makes sense?  :)

Iain

Impressive work Iain !! Quite a few interesting builds in the GB, but so far this and Tom's Sunderland take the prize for me

Only down side is that I know that if I ever get this kit I will have to do the same... that's how it is with the He219 in my stash, I almost dread the day I'll drag it out :-)

19 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Here is more info from the book "Canada's Wings 2, The Liberator and Fortress".

There are nice scale drawings of the Liberator on a large sheet. So I scanned some parts that can be of use for the wing.

qBJEDNb.png

MP5DncL.png

The following shows where cuts 2, 3 and 4 are located. 1 is the wing root.

wYj3mKH.png

Alain

I am not too sure if how off the engine cowl are off they look about right on this drawing

23 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Hiya Radleigh,

This doesn't tilt the wing back! It moves the trailing edge down - and flattens the upper and lower wing surfaces.  :)

I probably should have been clearer; *if* this mod works there is *no* change to the leading edge/upper nacelle position with respect to the fuselage.

The formers are bonded to the leading edge first, then the rear of the wing is bent down to meet the new profile and bonded.

The leading edge/upper nacelles aren't moved.

That is why, in the test piece photo earlier, I've marked out the 'box' for the modified kit spar box. The relationship between the wing box and the nacelles isn't changed.

The photo that shows the wing taped roughly to new shape - the upper nacelle does appear to point up more - this is a function of only playing with the extreme root at present - because the other moulded webs are still unbroken - and new formers not yet added along the wing - it has imparted a twist seen in that photo - which won't be in the final wing.

The kit already has a 1 deg incidence built into the way the wing spar box fits through the fuselage - so in the kit the nacelles do, indeed, point slightly upwards as it comes in the box - by about 1 degree.

I still have to confirm that is correct - I'd rather get that from empirical data than scaling up a drawing!

Yes - the undercarriage trunnion (and possibly other things) will need adjusting when fitting to the undercarriage bay, in order to get the correct angles - but I haven't got that far yet! :frantic:

Hopefully that makes sense?  :)

Iain

Makes perfect sense, to be fair I was really busy when looking at the thread and never took it in properly, but now you've said that and I've gone back and looked I can see it now. Not as bad as I thought then work wise, but still quite a bit... cant wait to see how it turns out. :)

Thanks for the explanation, Iain!

I reckon you'd breeze it Radleigh - anyone whose had any experience of vac kits will be able to sort this one I recon!  :)

Reading through previous posts I think it made sense to pull thoughts together in the reply I posted anyway - threads like these have a habit of getting disjointed a little.

Iain

Out with the digital calipers this evening and a better measure of the wing thickness at tip (last panel line inline with outer edge of aileron).

Thickness is 11.66mm

Chord is 50.79mm

Thickness/Chord ratio on Davis B-24 wing at tip - 9.3%

So - 9.3% of 50.79mm = 4.72mm - slightly under the 11.66mm measured!!

Interestingly the difference is *almost* the same as the thickness of the upper wing web where the aileron sits.

Just thinking through where I need to cut back the moulded in root to tip webs to give correct reduction in thickness across the wing.

If I can confirm we need to be around the 6mm (or slightly less) thickness at tip - I think I'm going to remove the tip along the moulded panel line, in order to make a pattern for casting.

Sorry if I'm being a bit retentive at the moment - I need to get everything straight in my head dimensionally before I do any more work - and create the rest of the wing former profiles.

Theory being first wing will be a sod - then, once done, others a breeze (in theory  :)).

Back later...

Iain