HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

This profile was printed out on to paper and this glued to the surface of a sheet of 2mm thick styrene, using Photo Mount spray.

Meanwhile - the root web in the wing was cut to allow it to bend - this was done very roughly with a cutting disc in my modelling dril, and the help of some side-cutters:

48b427_9f750124ca8a42e0aa76885aa135376e~

The sheet styrene profle was cut out and smoothed roughly to shape - remember, this is a prototype/test piece - and spot glued to the moulded in wing web at the leading edge.

On the final construction this former will be glued to the other side of the moulded web, i.e. behind in this view, but outside easiest whilst I get the shapes tweaked.

So - glued and lined-up at the leading edge - upper wing profile as kit:

48b427_1ee7e4b839434de1b203e1ae7d9842a6~

And, once dry with the upper surface of the wing pushed down to conform to the sheet plastic 'former':

48b427_66d2228a53f1401ab7c6090f0ab860af~

48b427_c94df9f031034518b2041fdc39fe8a6e~

A little more tweaking - the rear of the upper wing surface should be just a tiny bit concave - but considering first go I'm reasonably happy this will work.

Yes - the nacelle angle has moved relative to the root section - but that's because the single former at the root has induced a twist in the wing - will be corrected when other formers in place along wing.

Yes - material will need to be removed along the rear wing spar webs as moulded - and, yes, the very rear of the wing adopts correct angle when the airoil former pressed fully home - tape not doing a particularly good job of holding everything together!  :)

Need a break from computer now - but may do some more later.

Iain

Not quite there just yet - but getting there I think...

I believe we've quantified the problem - crunched the numbers and shapes - now we're half way through a potential fix.

I'll only be happy when I can show everyone two modified wings - slotted onto the kit spar/fuselage.

Iain

More number crunching as, looking at the kit wing, I was convinced it was too thick towards the tip.

So - chord in line with outer end of aileron in kit - 51mm.

Thickness/Chord ratio on Davis B-24 wing at tip - 9.3%

9.3% of 51mm gives a thickness of 4.743mm - the kit is almost 13mm!

I need to re-check this - but supports theory - and, in conjunction with need to reduce thickness alongt the rest of the wing - I'm leaning towards removing all the moulded in webs on the wing undersides.

Obviously - means there's a knock-on in that the flaps and ailerons in the kit will need considerable thinning - not really a problem if you're used to vacforms!

Meanwhile - someone posted on another thread regarding the cowl fronts - which will need work - but look a little better with their inserts in place:

48b427_6aac0d4151754da4b2a6196a12807bf2~

I have a plan to make these look a lot better - as well as replacing those engines.

But wings are the priority, for now...

Have fun!

Iain

Happy to bet that these Liberators will match someone's published plans almost exactly - trouble is...

Anyhow, we have what we have, and at a price point (at least here in Europe) where I'm happy to do some tweaking if it means I end up with a nice looking Liberator - eventually!  :rolleyes:

Have fun,

Iain

I like what you're doing to correct what seems like a rather major boo-boo on the manufacturer's behalf Iain, I can't pretend to understand half of the technical stuff you've written but no doubt a masterpiece will be the end result.  

It's only plastic - it can be re-shaped.  :)

I've said it before, but this is a bit of a curates egg; some parts of the kit look beautifully done - and I do believe there's a very good looking Liberator lurking in those big boxes, just needs a little 'coaxing'!  ;)

Still an awful lot easier than the Liberator vacs I have somewhere...

Iain