HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

In time for Cosford?   Again your engineering approach comes to the fore Although I wont be partaking in the B24 I will be watching this with interest. This will be another one of those subtle changes which is subtle but registers as being "more right" if that makes sense. 

Zacto kit with the A7 and Flanker springs to mind.

Keep it up.  

Wheels have arrived in the post - amazingly fast delivery from Creative Models!

632017_2.png

CAD renders from Eduard site.

Nigel reviewed these a few years back for LSP - they really are very nice!

More cuts made in the upper starboard wing reinforcement frames - I'm exploring how far I need to go to get the necessary bends in place.

Have to go do some more Spitfire stuff just now - but plan to make a start on new formers later today.

When I have the root ones done I'll take/post some photos.

Have fun!

Iain

I was just thinking, dangerous I know, but instead of thin formers, have thick/wide ones instead, which would hopefully help reshape the wing better? Perhaps glue a couple of formers to some foam (?) of the required width then cut to shape and cast in resin, giving the internal surface area a much better purchase.

I look at the build title and it just brings a smile.

I'm using 2 mm thick styrene sheet at specific points along the wing - initially where the webs in the kit are - but more if needed.

Should be more than enough to bring it into shape -  whilst still keeping everything clear so I can use the kit supplied central spar (with a little modification at rear) and the undercarriage bays (subject to some re-profiling to fit the new contours).

I'm coming at this from 40 years of building vacs - so, in my head, I'm just treating this as another vac wing that needs bringing into line - albeit a little thicker/stiffer!  :)

Iain

Just to add - I'll be drawing up the formers at 1:32 in vector format in CorelDRAW/Illustrator, so I can print and overlay on the styrene sheet for cutting.

They will vary in length as the wing narrows and each with a commensurately lower thickness/chord ratio.

Happy to make available as a .pdf - *if* this works - and if there's interest?

Iain

Hi Iain

Interesting work.. :)

You could also make the files available in a format that laser cutters can use (I'm not sure what they use, but it'd only have to be a 2-D file) ... that'd make the cutting out easier and more precise. I've been looking at the 'labs' many larger libraries are now hosting - laser cutters, 3-D printers, milling machines... lots of potential...

Matt

11 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Just to add - I'll be drawing up the formers at 1:32 in vector format in CorelDRAW/Illustrator, so I can print and overlay on the styrene sheet for cutting.

They will vary in length as the wing narrows and each with a commensurately lower thickness/chord ratio.

Happy to make available as a .pdf - *if* this works - and if there's interest?

Iain

I'll certainly be interested in those drawings Iain. 

I have B-25 and P-61 resin wheels here. Did you want me to measure up the nose wheels for you? I see True Details are going to release a resin set for this kit, but the're capped. I much prefer to see the wheel rather than a flat disc really.

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

1 hour ago, mattlow said:

Hi Iain

Interesting work.. :)

You could also make the files available in a format that laser cutters can use (I'm not sure what they use, but it'd only have to be a 2-D file) ... that'd make the cutting out easier and more precise. I've been looking at the 'labs' many larger libraries are now hosting - laser cutters, 3-D printers, milling machines... lots of potential...

Matt

Hiya Matt!

Yes - that had crossed my mind - I have at least another pair of wings to 'process' (for the Privateer) - and will probably also get a glass nose D at some point - so easier to get cut that way!

Tim Perry grabbed my attention a while back when he made a set of interlocking ribs and spars for a potential scratch-build project he has in mind, I'll have to ask him about it.

Iain

49 minutes ago, Gloucester Nige said:

I'll certainly be interested in those drawings Iain. 

I have B-25 and P-61 resin wheels here. Did you want me to measure up the nose wheels for you? I see True Details are going to release a resin set for this kit, but the're capped. I much prefer to see the wheel rather than a flat disc really.

Hiya Nige,

I went further down that wheel/tyre size chart - and P-61 came up almost identical/very similar - so have a set on order for my P-61 anyway.  :)

For other readers, Nige also reviewed this set for LSP a while back.

Just checked photos an I may need covers on the front wheels - in which case I can make those.

Iain

Back on the Lib tonight whilst the gloss coat cures on the Spit.

Drawing up profiles in CorelDRAW for the various stations along the wing - just spotted the airfoil plotting tool I linked to earlier has a 'halo' function - that's enabling me to automatically allow for the plastic thickness of the kit wing - making generation of each profile easier!

In breaking news, I'm now leaning towards the RCAF GR Mk.VI with the nose art, as provided as one of the options in the Eduard 1:72 special edition:

48b427_5f09af2768f044449b2a0c9797377ab5~

Too many potential schemes for a Liberator!!

Back later...

Iain