1/24 Hellcat pilots from putty to retail items

elanlane13

15 minutes ago, elanlane13 said:

I hadn't thought about scanning masters and reducing them in scale. I am at my local club meeting this Thursday and there is a member I can ask about the viability of this.

Max, The Mae West was sculpted in Magic Sculp because I didn't want to re-bake the figure after I had baked it for too long initially. The next instalment shows the arms, which are also sculpted in epoxy putty. This is because I currently use plastic tube for the male joint to the body. This would melt a baking temperature. I need to obtain some appropriate size brass tube to overcome this problem.

Are you going to bring this figure Thursday Robert, if so I'll probably try to get to the club so I can give you a good grilling!! 

Edited by mozart

11 minutes ago, elanlane13 said:

Max I'm afraid both the FAA and US Navy pilots will be in Newport on Tuesday in the queue to be cast into resin at MDP.

Well that's good news for those in the market for them Robert, I may still see you Thursday if I can stir my old bones though! 

1 hour ago, elanlane13 said:

I hadn't thought about scanning masters and reducing them in scale. I am at my local club meeting this Thursday and there is a member I can ask about the viability of this.

I would think with 3d scanning tech being what it is now, this might open up a much bigger market for your wonderful work. Even if you simply used it to print masters in different scales, and then reproduced them in resin as you normally would. 

Another benefit could be making different versions of a given figure. For example, if you had scanned the FAA pilot before you put the Mae West on him, you could have printed another one and used it to make a master without the vest, or with a different vest, or make multiple masters with different combos of legs, heads, accessories, etc. The options are really endless and would save re-sculpting redundant parts. I used to dabble in making custom sci-fi action figures for a few collectors, and considered using this method myself, and then decided that was way more time and effort (and money) than I wanted to put into something I wasn't really into anyway. I'd love to try sculpting a few figures for use with my models, but that's about it.

Just some thoughts for you, take them for what you will. 

I am really impressed with your work!!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hellcat Pilots build log. Part: The Last (sculpting)

Things have advanced since part 4 and the final set of smudgy snaps show the two pilots primed and awaiting their final checks before heading off to sunny Newport for the Welsh Wizard (and Tom) at MDP to perform their moulding and casting magic on them.

The Fleet Air Arm pilot now has two fleet air arms and his parachute has been added, carried over his shoulder. There were no real problems with this stage of the process.

The US Navy pilot (who looks rather grumpy!) had to have his legs altered ( possibly why he looks grumpy) and straps amended to match up with the strapping of the parachute that he is wearing.

For both figures the extra additions were sculpted in Magic Sculp or Duro both from Sylmasta.

Although it seems I am well on target for having both these pilots finished in time for the proposed May release of the Hellcat by Airfix, things will actually be tight. Moulding and casting has to be done. Boxart and photographing has to be completed and resin castings boxed ready to be dispatched.

I'll keep all of you loyal readers (optimistic use of plural here) informed of how things are going.

Image may contain: 1 personImage may contain: 1 person, standingImage may contain: 1 person, standingImage may contain: one or more people and people standingImage may contain: one or more people and shoesImage may contain: 1 person, standingImage may contain: one or more people and people standingImage may contain: 1 person, standing and shoes

Marvellous work Robert, this has been a really interesting and educational thread to follow. I've learned a lot, I can see there are still many skills and techniques yet to be revealed like the best way of reproducing smaller areas such as belts, buckles, pockets etc., no doubt all straightforward when you know how, but it's knowing the how that remains a mystery!! 

One loyal reader! :) 

2 hours ago, elanlane13 said:

Tim,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend my club meeting. I will email my friend about 3D scanning this week.

Very curious to see what you find out. I think that would really open up a wider market for your incredible skills.

• 1 month later...

A quick Smudgysnapovision update on the 1/24 (75mm) Hellcat pilots.

Below are some snaps of the castings, produced in the usual excellent way by MDP.

Examples have winged their way to New Zealand and Hove for box art magic.

Full release date is still on track for May. (Though I may have the odd pre-release at shows where the Elan13 Miniatures roadshow is in town.)

Image may contain: 1 personImage may contain: 1 person, standingImage may contain: one or more people and people standingImage may contain: 1 person, standingImage may contain: 1 person, standingImage may contain: one or more people and people standing