1/24 Hellcat pilots from putty to retail items

elanlane13

On 1/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, BiggTim said:

Curious about which sculpting putty you've been using. Could you elaborate more specifically? I'd like to get some and experiment with it.

Tim, it's Beesputty, invented by Stefan Niehues-Ellermann, a German professional modeller and sculptor, see www.beesputty.com I've watched a couple of videos that he has posted, Parts 1 and 2 of him sculpting what looks to be a female warrior or similar is really impressive, Part 3 yet to be shown.  I have some on order! :)

Hellcat pilots build log. Part: The Third

The smudgy snaps below show more progress with the Fleet Air Arm pilot. I have worked on his shirt and refined some of the detail on the shorts. As with the shorts, his shirt is made of cotton so some liberal creasing was added. I was fairly pleased with the progress, but my smugness was soon shattered (if you can shatter smugness) when I realised most of this work will be invisible once his life preserver is added!

I have also included some snaps of progress for the US Navy pilot. He has legs! As will be seen in the next couple of instalments, they may not stay as they are depicted here however.

All sculpting is still using Bees Putty, with only the head of the FAA pilot baked so far. This means changes are relatively easy to make if proportions or equipment look wrong. As an experienced sculptor this never happens....or perhaps it does...often.

In response to Tim's enquiry, Max is right so far only Bees Putty has been used for sculpting, over a Magic Sculp and wire core. This is a clay, which has to be baked in the oven to harden. As mentioned above this has the advantage of enabling changes to be made fairly easily. However, it has the disadvantage of detail being lost by less than dexterous application of a wayward digit. This happens often, but is worth the initial frustration and gnashing of teeth.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing and shoesImage may contain: one or more people, people standing and shoes

Image may contain: one or more people and people standingImage may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: one or more peopleImage may contain: one or more people and pool

We need more LSP ground crews! Particularly in 1/24 scale!

Every show I attend plenty of modellers agree with me, come on, no groundies no flying!

The list of body positions for them is almost endless for the sculptor, and there seems to be more than just a 'casual' market for them too.

This FAA pilot looks fantastic and will go on my buy list for sure!!  

11 hours ago, elanlane13 said:

Max, I use different diameter wire for different scale figures but they vary in type; copper, brass, and normal garden stuff.

Thanks Robert, I'd be attempting mine solely in 1/32 (54mm) so what would you recommend please? 

This just leaves me speechless. This is pure art. 

It's nice to have sharp figures done by 3D printing, but this is a different level of amazing. The hair and beard is so life-like, and the face on that figure is so expressive, and the creases on the shorts are so effective and realistic. It looks like thin fabric!  I don't even plan on building anything British Pacific Fleet but I would like to buy this figure and paint it! 

Richard