ICM Gloster Gladiator

Kagemusha

53 minutes ago, scvrobeson said:

Somebody much smarter than me might know this.  The Finnish Gladiators that we've seen in the olive/silver scheme, was the olive camouflage painted over the silver, or was the silver put over the olive/blue paint job?

Matt 

They were actually Swedish volunteers flying Swedish Air Force aircraft, with olivgron uppers, and ljust blagra undersides, with aluminium dope stripes over the top. 

Hi!

The Swedish Gladiators started out all over silver dope, later they got the dark green color on top of the upper wing and fuselage.

The Finnish Gladiators were shipped crated to Sweden, assembled at F8 Barkaby (outside Stockholm) and then flown to Finland.

They got the green, light blue and silver cammo in Sweden and was marked with bogus insignias (the black disc covering the Swedish insignia), remember Sweden was supposed to be neutral.

In Finland they got the light blue Finnish svastika and markings.

Did you know that the squadron F19 is one that never have operated from Swedish soil, as it was created just for Finland?

But it was a Swedish volunteer group, pilots and ground personell.

Cheers !  :beer:

Stefan

Edited by Phantom2

I've ordered the Gladiator Mk.II (along with an IBG P.11C) from Hannant's and am eagerly awaiting their delivery. While I wait, I'm reading all these threads on the kits, which only makes my patience grow less! But in reading this one, I was suddenly struck with a thought. (Warning, thread hijacking ahead!)

I'm afraid it's become increasingly clear that Wingnut Wings has breathed its last. I've seen some discussion elsewhere as to what will happen to their molds. Given the great success of ICM's 1/32 releases, it seems to me that they would be a pretty fine candidate to carry on WnW's legacy. What do you all think?

Michael

I have yet to grab my copy of the Mk. II Gladdie. I think I'm waiting for the Mk II to appear at SprueBrothers.  I do happen to already have Alis Aerocraft brass undercarriage set for the Gladiator............highly recommended. 

11 minutes ago, Michael Satin said:

I've ordered the Gladiator Mk.II (along with an IBG P.11C) from Hannant's and am eagerly awaiting their delivery. While I wait, I'm reading all these threads on the kits, which only makes my patience grow less! But in reading this one, I was suddenly struck with a thought. (Warning, thread hijacking ahead!)

I'm afraid it's become increasingly clear that Wingnut Wings has breathed its last. I've seen some discussion elsewhere as to what will happen to their molds. Given the great success of ICM's 1/32 releases, it seems to me that they would be a pretty fine candidate to carry on WnW's legacy. What do you all think?

Michael

Steady on there Michael! :D:D

On 5/29/2020 at 2:38 AM, iang said:

I 'm looking forward to this release.

One small point to note, however, is that it is not possible to build the first  two options  -  804 Squadron N2272:G  and 804:H, which incidentally is N2276 and the usual aircraft of Lt Carver RN - without modifying what's in the box slightly. N22xx serial aircraft are Sea Gladiator (interim). The key external distinguishing feature is the presence of an external arrestor hook, not a recessed hook as seen on N55xx serial aircraft. 

You can see the external hook on the well known photo of N2272, with S/Lt Sleigh in the cockpit:

804-Hatston-opt.jpg

I don't know, the hook is a separate part. As long as they have the original under-fuselage section in the box too (and it looks like it is from sprue shots I saw elsewhere), I shouldn't think it would be too hard to work up. I may find out, as I've always liked those particular markings!

Michael

On 5/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, mozart said:

I wonder if the Mk1 price will drop slightly? I intend getting one to convert to a Gauntlet at some point. 

How big of a deal is that conversion? I would really like a Danish Gauntlet, but haven't looked at the requirements to get there.

Tnarg

This thread provides the best info Tnarg.  When I was making my Gladiator I managed to melt a tailplane so contacted ICM who sent me the whole sprue, which conveniently included an upper wing. The Gauntlet upper wing is longer than the Gladiator’s so it should be a fairly straightforward job to insert a couple of sections. Other bits of the conversion, undercarriage, fuselage etc are another matter! 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064146-gladiators-into-gauntlets/

You can lengthen the Glad's wing with a spare but you'd also have to change the number and distance between ribs. This would entail removing all the rib details on the lengthened wing and creating new ones from scratch.

It would be simpler to build the Gauntlet wings entirely from scratch using H. Woodman's tried and true method of skinning a balsa core with plastic sheet.

Also considering the many differences between the fuselages of the two airplanes, it would be more straightforward – and surely more accurate – to build the Gauntlet from the ground up, using the ICM Glad as a donor kit for components like the engine, propeller, wheels,....

It can be done y'know. If only I was a few years younger... :innocent:

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

1 hour ago, quang said:

You can lengthen the Glad's wing with a spare but you'd also have to change the number and distance between ribs. This would entail removing all the rib details on the lengthened wing and creating new ones from scratch.

It would be simpler to build the Gauntlet wings entirely from scratch using H. Woodman's tried and true method of skinning a balsa core with plastic sheet.

Also considering the many differences between the fuselages of the two airplanes, it would be more straightforward – and surely more accurate – to build the Gauntlet from the ground up, using the ICM Glad as a donor kit for components like the engine, propeller, wheels,....

It can be done y'know. If only I was a few years younger... :innocent:

Cheers,

Quang

Thanks for the valuable input Quang, and of course you're absolutely right IF a truly accurate Gauntlet is the intention.  Me?  I'm happy with something that looks like a Gauntlet and is fun to build, to paint and to add to my 56 Squadron theme.  

Edited by mozart

Max, does the drawing in the On silver wings book by Lumsden et al. have info on the Mk. 1 wheel spats? I also, like Tnarg, want to do the Danish Mk. 1 and with the spats it looks quite different. On the Gauntlet fuselage: If you remove about one centimetre of the fuselage halves of the Gladiator kit, just behind the metal part, that is from the linen covered rear fuselage, and put these together again, I think you'll end up with quite a decent basis for a Gauntlet.  The Gladiator had a longer fuselage.