ICM Gloster Gladiator

Kagemusha

My previous post here illustrates the variety of chords available for streamlined rigging, but still merely serves to show the necessity of accurate reporting of rigging dimensions to correctly identify what is appropriate to which location.

The Gladiator photo below shows the shortcomings of imagery alone to report what is actually there. Where the four rigging wires terminate on the lower wing: different chord widths on the flying and landing wires? Or are some a parallax artefact? We can discern some, but not all. The only way to be 100% sure is to have physical measurements of each rigging wire, otherwise its just part guesswork.

And to think runs of single thickness nylon thread was once considered more than adequate in 1/72 scale...

QdGoLl.jpg

Edited by Chek

• 6 months later...
On 1/20/2019 at 6:02 PM, mozart said:

One Silver Wings Sea Gladiator sold yesterday on eBay for £103.00, another has come on today with a starting price of £100.00, any link with the pending ICM kit on the sellers' behalf d'you think??!  :hmmm: :)

certainly no link to the buyer's!

I'm waiting for the ICM kit, unless someone offers a SW kit at less than £50

22 hours ago, mozart said:

Figures look tempting, though I’m not sure the pilot with the oxygen mask is appropriate? 

And did they wear fur lined leather jackets in the dessert?

Just asking if you know...

Edited by Pup7309

Nice.  ICM is awesome. Look at what they have given us in 2018 & 2019.  (Seriously).  

I picked up a trio of ICM Russian pilots at the local hobby shop here in Singapore a couple w/e.  You know the deal.  Walk in with no intentions, but simply can’t walk out empty handed.  I need to support the local guy you know.   

Anyway, the ICM Russian pilots were so easy to assemble and nicely detailed.  Case in point.    I really like the way ICM takes on doing the flight googles in a Separate mold / part.   I love this idea.   I want to drill out the lens area and fill it in with a clear coat.    I need to practice on figure painting and avoid the Popeye appearance of doing figure painting.   

I would love a set of British pilots in doing the same.  

Question gents& ladies,  The RAF flight boots look a lot like a luftwaffe pilots versions?   Did the RAF flight boots look that similar in appearance?   Just curious.  

Well done ICM.  

Troy 

23 hours ago, mozart said:

Figures look tempting, though I’m not sure the pilot with the oxygen mask is appropriate? 

It's entirely appropriate given the altitudes at which this plane was operated.  By the time you've reached 15,000ft, you can expect to be feeling the effects of hypoxia, and these planes flew higher.  After all, the Gladiator was operational at a time when the RAF was practising for war against the Luftwaffe, so given that the operating height of the potential enemy was known, they had to fly at oxygen thin altitiudes.

17 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

And did they wear fur lined leather jackets in the dessert?

Just asking if you know...

If you fly high in the desert, it gets cold.  Interesting anecdote which proves that it's cold at 25,000 feet and higher wherever you are in the world:  When Spitfires were sent to Australia for the defense of Darwin in 1943, some bright spark in Whitehall thought "oh it's hot out there" so he decided that he'd help the Aussies by sending lightened Spitfires.  So they were sent out without gun heating equipment.  The RAAF had no end of problems with frozen guns (among other gun problems too) as they always climbed to 30,000 to 36,000ft before intercepting.  So fur jackets will have been worn on some occasions in the desert as some operations, particularly recconnaisance ops, will have taken place at higher than usual altitudes.

BTW, I'm one looking forward to the release of the Gladiator too.  It's one I've wanted in large scale for decades.  I'd also like a decent Macchi 202/205 too (hint, hint...)

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

• 2 months later...

Hi - it was a gamble - I used the SBS engine/cowl for my 1/48 model and I loved it and asked them to upscale the parts for me. I am sure the kit will be good enough - we will see. As for decals - again I designed all of the SBS decals for them and asked if I could upscale some of them and so I have a multi-national sheet but Want to see what type national insignia come sin the kits as I could then squeeze in another option perhaps if insignia not needed. I love this aeroplane that is all and as I have done the decals and bracign wires in other scales and friends have done the engine it seems sensible to get geared up

19 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

If they were smart they did.  At 10,000’ it’s freezing no matter what the temperature on the ground is.

Not really true.  With a standard lapse rate of 2 degrees per thousand feet it can be relatively warm at 10,000'.  And lately it's been ISA+10 to +15 in much of the country so that makes it even warmer at 10,000'.