A Wee Project: 1/24 Cardoor Tiffie

Uncarina

A significant part of the operational success of the Hawker Typhoon can be attributed to the actions of Wing Commander Roland Prosper "Bee" Beamont, CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar. At a time when operations were in doubt due to airframe and engine issues, he demonstrated the potential of this airplane in ground attack and low altitude operations. I thought it only appropriate to dedicate my build of the Airfix 1/24 Cardoor Mk 1B Typhoon to depicting one of his aircraft.

I loved this build: exceptional fit, engineering, accuracy, attention to detail. All of this is a testimony to the Airfix design team. They certainly impressed me! Certainly some challenges: some flash, parts cleanup, and tricky fitting (especially the cowl). Yet as this build took shape I smiled again and again at the impressive kit. This was certainly one of my favorite builds in recent years!

My build is here:

The only aftermarket I added was the BarracudaCast carburetor intake and the Montex Masks. The only extra detailing I added was to the inside of the car door; otherwise everything else is the kit! Painted with Tamiya paints and my Aztek 470 airbrush. Hope you like it!

Cheers, Tom

eU7q4dM.jpg

EUWff4X.jpg

927NpVC.jpg

pZldOCq.jpg

xJP0smo.jpg

xh7d7jt.jpg

Edited by Uncarina

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,  this is such a nice build and the fit of the components and the subtlety in the painting is very impressive.  As you know I’m building the same kit at the moment and I’ve heard lots of horror stories about getting the complex engine cowl  parts to line up.  Did you have any problems or any suggestions on how to make this go smoothly?  Thank you.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks! The cowling fit was tricky for me as well. I recommend leaving the engine block unglued, so when you fit the cowlings the propeller shaft is trapped in a position that minimizes gaps between the cowling parts. Also, remove some of the plastic from the engine block above the exhausts, since this interferes with the upper cowling. Here is a recommended build sequence for adding the cowling pieces:

1. The N06/N09 assembly

2. N17/N18

3. N04/N05

4. N11

5. N10 (you can make this moveable btw if you drill a hole in the ductwork for the control rod D06 to fit in)

6. N02/N03

7. N16

I used Tamiya extra thin cement and taped the parts in place to squeeze them together. Hope this helps!

Cheers,  Tom