HK Lanc review

Pfuf

2 hours ago, John1 said:

Am I the only one who hates video reviews?    I'll wait until this kit gets dissected here on LSP. 

Same here.  Especially when the first five minutes talk about the box it comes in.  Some of them are just too long.    I can get everything I need about a particular part or detail in a few seconds from a good photo and a sentence or two of text and don’t need to hear someone yammering on for five minutes.  I see this one is 40 minutes for the first part and 30 minutes for the second.  I can probably read every review on the net and view every picture of the kit out there in less time that in takes to sit through all 70 minutes of this.

Edited by Dave Williams

I have to agree, video reviews just don't give me the honest views I need to get a feel for the kit.  I find myself stopping, starting, DLing and trying to enlarge screen shots from the vid, and it can become very unwieldy. 

Id much prefer a good documented text base review with large clear pictures, written by someone at least partially familiar with the airframe and preferably the kit manu too. 

3 hours ago, JamesHatch said:

I'm not generally a fan of them, but in all fairness, he has put some real effort in here with good clear footage of the parts and surface textures.

Kudos to him.

Agree James, especially compared to most other Youtube kit reviews, Nigel's reviews are some of the better online. Hope he continues on with the reviews, breathe of fresh air.

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

nah... i stopped watching after he starts comparing it to HK's previous kit of the B-24 Liberator..!!

I think I compared this kit to the Hobbyboss B-24 that I reviewed on the previous day? I may have referred to the HK B-17, which is riddled with errors. I may also have referred to the HK B-25, which is a great kit in my opinion.

I used to do a lot of kit and AM reviews on this forum, but stopped due to lack of interest. It really does seem these days that people on forums struggle to say, "Thanks for that review" etc, but love to add negative comments when something is posted online. Really??

I discussed the packaging on this kit because mine arrived with broken fuselage parts, yet the box was perfect, (so not the couriers fault),  The packaging is crap. I also picked up on a couple of points I havent seen raised anywhere in any review to date. 

I actually spent around 3 hours putting those video's together with all the editing etc.. because I would like to show interested people out there what this new kit offers. Why am I sitting here reading about why people dont like video reviews?? I'd much rather read about someone disagreeing with my opinion on something, or that they think a certain item looks off.

It's all free, why complain??

Edited by Nigels modelling bench

Nige, I do appreciate your review. I also got to put my hands on the Lanc last week, a friend ordered 3 of them, so we spent an afternoon looking at the kit, we both had some opinions that you confirmed a few. He also had a Tamiya 1/48 there, we both observed there were some layout issues with the fuselage and the wing shape, but we couldn’t place a finger on exactly what it was. He theorized that there were some features on the aircraft that were installed after the war, possibly in modern times. The wing seems to have shape issues also. But we couldn’t decide which kit had the issues. The window blisters are the worst screwup, how do you glue those on and open the hole? 

Alas, would I build it? Yes, for less than $200, but not for $350. At that money, I’m waiting for the Wingnut, but if I do happen to come across one fairly inexpensive, I could be convinced. 

Hk definatley could have taken a few a few tips from other kits, the box packing is pretty bad. The HB liberator has proper packing, but bad turrets. Each kit has its faults, but we are lucky to have both.

2 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Nige, I do appreciate your review. I also got to put my hands on the Lanc last week, a friend ordered 3 of them, so we spent an afternoon looking at the kit, we both had some opinions that you confirmed a few. He also had a Tamiya 1/48 there, we both observed there were some layout issues with the fuselage and the wing shape, but we couldn’t place a finger on exactly what it was. He theorized that there were some features on the aircraft that were installed after the war, possibly in modern times. The wing seems to have shape issues also. But we couldn’t decide which kit had the issues. The window blisters are the worst screwup, how do you glue those on and open the hole? 

Alas, would I build it? Yes, for less than $200, but not for $350. At that money, I’m waiting for the Wingnut, but if I do happen to come across one fairly inexpensive, I could be convinced. 

Hk definatley could have taken a few a few tips from other kits, the box packing is pretty bad. The HB liberator has proper packing, but bad turrets. Each kit has its faults, but we are lucky to have both.

Agree 100% with all you say.

Did you notice the lack of detail at the wing intersection with the fuselage and the location of the radio operators window?