HGW A-20G Havoc - IN PLASTIC!!!

Jan_G

On 9/30/2019 at 6:02 AM, Artful69 said:

I notice the seam around the nose .... and I was hoping that it was a join seam ... So that HGW could release glazed nose variants in the future.

But then I noticed that the mid-fuselage dorsal section with the Martin turret is part of the main fuse ... bummer ... If they do go for further releases they'll need new moulds.

Rog :)

Can't you convert it to a different version yourself? 

8 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Nope

Rog :)

Well, that sure is telling him.

But it would be a lot of work. Maybe the rear not so hard as cut out the turret fairing and sheet up like the real thing, and just bend some clear over. Internals would be a total new build. But the nose would be everything from the fuselage break point forward, clear bits and all. Hard yakka.

2 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

Well, that sure is telling him.

But it would be a lot of work. Maybe the rear not so hard as cut out the turret fairing and sheet up like the real thing, and just bend some clear over. Internals would be a total new build. But the nose would be everything from the fuselage break point forward, clear bits and all. Hard yakka.

Well .... I almost didn't waste the time with the one word answer ... it really is an annoying question - why buy ANY kit at all - if we should all just scratch build?!

But ... if HGW haven't designed a modular build ... this presents an excellent opportunity for the AM cut-n-shunt resin heads ... OR mr Model Monkey!!

The first problem is that rear turret area ... on the real deal the fuselage was widened a fair bit to fit the Martin turret assembly in.

Now ... that could be just the fairings etc that are obvious to the eye ... but ... it also could be a widening of the entire fuselage in that place ... I just don't know ...

Assuming the former version ... then it's a straight swap of two "plugs" ... Same with the nose assembly ...

but building that - especially the clear sections ... is likely to involve skills I'll never develop ... like vac forming or resin casting.

Don't ever get me wrong ... I'm not bagging the HGW release ... I love the G with the Martin turret and solid front end ... 20mm's or .50 cals poking out ... it looks super mean.

But HGW could have probably made so much more out of it than the one variant ... I would've happily grabbed a 3 or 4. I don't think people realise just how prolifically used this aircraft was.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

I have my limits on scratch building myself. I've generally found that if I have to scratch up something as major as an intricate/complex part that includes a massive clear section as the very fist thing anyone looking at the mode sees (like say an A-20 nose section with visible interior!), that I would tend to either get bogged down in all the complexity and trying to get it  right, or just plain not start it at all. 

• 1 year later...