HGW A-20G Havoc - IN PLASTIC!!!

Jan_G

12 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

I'm not sure what "laced" means, but I did notice the stressed or "oil canned" appearance of the wings around the rivets.  Looks like someone else besides WNW is taking this approach to larger aircraft models.

Probably way easier to do the oil canning using the method as here, where the solid inners are covered in etched metal skinning, rather than trying it in CAD. I read that doing so for the Lancaster totally maxed out HKM's computer capacity. Really so glad that this will now be IM, as resin is way to $$$y, and I have my fear that it will not be too happy with global warming. 'Tis already about 40degrees C here.

7 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

Probably way easier to do the oil canning using the method as here, where the solid inners are covered in etched metal skinning, rather than trying it in CAD. I read that doing so for the Lancaster totally maxed out HKM's computer capacity. Really so glad that this will now be IM, as resin is way to $$$y, and I have my fear that it will not be too happy with global warming. 'Tis already about 40degrees C here.

Not wanting to derail this topic too much, but does anyone know why WNW has ostensibly been able to achieve this desired oil-canned look on their Lancaster while it was beyond HKM's capacity?  Is it something beyond the capacity of computers but if you literally use a more "hands-on" approach, the effect can be achieved?

8 minutes ago, 32tragic said:

Add me to the list, always up for a bit of havoc  Besides it was used by the RAAF so enough said. :) 

Me too!

As a kid growing up and reading Commando comics, I spent pocket money at the local news agent on small scale Matchbox kits ...

One of my favourite Commando stories of the time involved an RAF squadron using Havoc's on intruder duties ... dodging flak and night fighters while bombing targets of opportunity.

I must have bought and built a Douglas Boston/Havoc kit at least 3 or 4 times ... I loved it that much. You had the option to build it in either configuration by swapping out the nose cone ... although I loved the solid FB version with mid upper turret more (A20-G) ... sadly the RAF never used these though (as far as I can tell).

I'm trying to find references of the USAAF using the G in the ETO or North Africa so I can keep to my theme of ETO subjects only.

The RAAF (in the PTO) is a different story - with most of their Mk.III's (A20-C's) being converted to Mk.IV (A20-G's) solid nose affairs at some point. If I ever go on a RAAF building spree at some point I'll have to include one of these.

Rog :)

5 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

The RAAF (in the PTO) is a different story - with most of their Mk.III's (A20-C's) being converted to Mk.IV (A20-G's) solid nose affairs at some point. If I ever go on a RAAF building spree at some point I'll have to include one of these.

Rog :)

Yes, the RAAF flew the DB-7B, A-20A, A-20C and A-20G
If you want an excellent reference on RAAF A-20s "Frend Bilong Australia Tru - The Douglas Boston in RAAF Service" by Gary Byk is a good place to start.
https://www.redroomodels.com/red-roo/frend-bilong-australia-tru-the-douglas-boston-in-raaf-service/

On 12/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, esarmstrong said:

Not wanting to derail this topic too much, but does anyone know why WNW has ostensibly been able to achieve this desired oil-canned look on their Lancaster while it was beyond HKM's capacity?  Is it something beyond the capacity of computers but if you literally use a more "hands-on" approach, the effect can be achieved?

I don’t think the canning appearance would be beyond HKM’s capacity.  The convention in 1/32 scale has been that manufacturers were not attempting to replicate that type of effect.  WNW chose to go to greater lengths which simply is typical of WNW, I don’t think that is a commentary on HKM’s capability.  We all know the HKM make really nice detailed kits.  WNW chose do go another step.  

Regardless of CAAD technology the time spent to create more surface detail on such a large area is an greatly added expense and risk in the design process.  After all if it all goes wrong and looks like garbage when the molds are done regardless of CAAD usage it could all be a big waste of money.  So WNW chose to take on the additional challenge.  Please keep in mind I don’t mean this as a criticism of HKM, their lancaster looks wonderful.  Some may not want the wrinkly look on their plane also in due course there will be two choices which is good for the world of people that want to model Lancaster’s.

you all forget the Soviet use,was the main twin at the beginning

here's a decal review,pictures are clickable for next image

lots of cool schemes and armament installations

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/3779-obzor-dekal-Authentic-Decals-1-72-a-20-Boston-Havoc-in-the-Russian-sky.html

Edited by iaf-man