Ol’ Matchbox 1/32 Lysander

Pup7309

Was doing a bit of stash-bashing today and re-found an old Matchbox Lysander. It’s kind of collectable so I darent open it. But thought that I’d really like to build one. How long until a new tooled release?... I guess I won’t hold my breath waiting...

Edited by Pup7309

I nearly built mine for the recent Group Build, it was opened years ago and the box is warped so not 'mint' in any way. Revell did release a version as I recall, not sure when that was, and maybe they will do another. The Lysander was much mentioned in the build up to Airfix's recent 1/24 release, don't know if some people are 'in the know' or just wishful thinking.

Steve

I would just build it because it's mostly our generation that would want it, sooner or later there won't be as much interest in it and the value will fall as we all get older, I've noticed this with my other hobby which is generally populated by folk who are 20 years older than us and recently some very coveted items are cropping up more frequently and are now going for a lot less than one would expect.

Graham

Synchronicity I think its called, there was me clearing out my book shelves yesterday in a vain attempt to find a couple of books I know I have but can't put my hands on, when what do I find, Scale Models International , August 1979, "How to super detail your Matchbox Lysander".. 

Didn't even know I still had the mag... Tell you what Pup, if you do decide to build the kit PM< me , and I send you it..!

ColinR

5 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

I nearly built mine for the recent Group Build, it was opened years ago and the box is warped so not 'mint' in any way. Revell did release a version as I recall, not sure when that was, and maybe they will do another. The Lysander was much mentioned in the build up to Airfix's recent 1/24 release, don't know if some people are 'in the know' or just wishful thinking.

Steve

1/24 never thought I’d try that scale...Would like to do Lysander and maybe Gladiator. There aren’t too many panel lines on the Lysander so the older kits might (I say might) hold up with a bit of work.

1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

Synchronicity I think its called, there was me clearing out my book shelves yesterday in a vain attempt to find a couple of books I know I have but can't put my hands on, when what do I find, Scale Models International , August 1979, "How to super detail your Matchbox Lysander".. 

Didn't even know I still had the mag... Tell you what Pup, if you do decide to build the kit PM< me , and I send you it..!

ColinR

Thanks that’s great!  if I do then yes I’ll def message. Ive got a few references but not that. Also rediscovered a few older airfix kits which I might practice on (just getting back into the hobby after many years break) 

I bought some WNW and Tamiya kits but still researching techniques to do them justice. 

I learned the hard way that hanging on old out of production kits, like Matchbox and Scratchbuilders for profit loose value when newer versions arrive. I have a  Lysander which I do want to build. Since the decals are so old, make sure you coat them before you dip them in water.