Academy 1/35 AH-1Z sprue shots! Looks like they nailed it!

Dave Roof

4 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Wow! It looks marvellous!

This clearly shows how an helo kit should be correctly made with raised rivets!

Yeah. Almost everything should be with raised rivets actually :)

Is there experts on AH-1Z here? Could anyone give an opinion that is based on serious research and understanding of the helicopter? I have no info about that bird, besides the fact that I like it. I like the moulds too, but I would like to hear some experts talk on that matter. 
Thank you!

2 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Is there experts on AH-1Z here? Could anyone give an opinion that is based on serious research and understanding of the helicopter? I have no info about that bird, besides the fact that I like it. I like the moulds too, but I would like to hear some experts talk on that matter. 
Thank you!

The Zulu fully entered service after I retired, so my hands on knowledge is nil. However, I have several technical publications on the air frame and it stacks up pretty well.

In addition, the link was shared on a Facebook group that comprises of Marines within the skid community. So far, it has received high praise from several Marines that work on it.

Dave

Edited by Dave Roof

Wow,  how did Academy figure out how to produce a kit with raised rivets?  I thought that was completely unnecessary / impossible to replicate / too much work for the modeler. 

This kit looks very nicely done.  I'll leave it to the SME's to tell us how accurate it is but I'm hopeful that they got things right.   

I gotta state this for the record - Why would Academy go to the trouble of releasing a kit of the Zulu version (which probably has somewhat limited appeal) and not opt for the original Snake,  the AH-1G Huey Cobra?   The Cobra is arguably the prettiest helo ever made and there are probably hundreds of colorful marking schemes available to choose from.  Not to mention all the history associated with this helo.   Truly disappointed.

I'm glad Academy is still in the large scale helo game but unfortunately, I won't be purchasing this kit.  Just don't have any interest in modern Marine helos.   

Edited by LSP_Mike
removed un-needed shot at another manufacturer

Kits looks great, how I wish all helo kits would look.

As much as I love the Cobra though I’ll probably pass. Their appeal ended for me once the W went with the turned exhaust, and the Z just continued that downfall and made the rest of the airframe worse looking all around (and I miss the whoop-whoop noise....). But I’m hoping sales are great and Academy continues with more big scale helos.

I imagine with going with the AH-1Z they can get good bang for their buck and reuse common parts to “easily” do a UH-1Y considering the shared Z and Y components (rotor, boom, etc).

Looks fantastic, loving the raised rivets, I might have to get one when it becomes available here in the U.K. Now, please, please, pretty please, with cherries on top and everything, can we have a new-tooled AH-1G ? 1/32nd or 1/35th, I'm not fussed:D!

8 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Thank you!

When I retired in 2014, the West Coast was about halfway through the Z transition (and already entirely UH-1Y).  So far the sprue shots look great, and the rivets are sublime.  There are a few shortfalls I can see, but nothing major (gun oversimplified, LAU-7s would look fine with AIM-9s, but empty they're not accurate due to the attachment tabs for the missiles, seats look pretty sparse, AIM-9 wings have a strange square cutout looking thing, etc).  Add some wiring to the tail and main rotor heads, replace the APU exhaust with some brass tubing, and add a "secondary comm tube" to the underside of the fuselage and you're good to go!  I'll certainly pick one (or more) up as soon as they're available and drop everything to build it.  This thing's gonna be pretty sick.

Semper,

Ski

5 hours ago, John1 said:

Wow,  how did Academy figure out how to produce a kit with raised rivets?  I thought that was completely unnecessary / impossible to replicate / too much work for the modeler. 

This kit looks very nicely done.  I'll leave it to the SME's to tell us how accurate it is but I'm hopeful that they got things right.   

I gotta state this for the record - Why would Academy go to the trouble of releasing a kit of the Zulu version (which probably has somewhat limited appeal) and not opt for the original Snake,  the AH-1G Huey Cobra?   The Cobra is arguably the prettiest helo ever made and there are probably hundreds of colorful marking schemes available to choose from.  Not to mention all the history associated with this helo.   Truly disappointed.

I'm glad Academy is still in the large scale helo game but unfortunately, I won't be purchasing this kit.  Just don't have any interest in modern Marine helos.   

I hear you on so many levels!  If Academy has the stones to tackle a large scale Z, I'd love to see them remold their W (with option for turned exhaust, new canopy, and NTS/non-NTS), and a G as well.  Hell, while we're at it, lets see the whole family of Army and Marine Snakes (what I wouldn't give to build a big J, T and W).  And how about a November and Yankee to go with them?  I can dream, can't I?

Semper,

Ski

59 minutes ago, Usmcski said:

I hear you on so many levels!  If Academy has the stones to tackle a large scale Z, I'd love to see them remold their W (with option for turned exhaust, new canopy, and NTS/non-NTS), and a G as well.  Hell, while we're at it, lets see the whole family of Army and Marine Snakes (what I wouldn't give to build a big J, T and W).  And how about a November and Yankee to go with them?  I can dream, can't I?

Semper,

Ski

You nailed it Ski!  I might still buy the Zulu, if nothing else to support Academy and maybe it'll nudge them into going big time into large scale helos!