1:18 Hobbyboss AV-8B Harrier

patricksparks

2 hours ago, patricksparks said:

AWESOME !!!!

Thanks Patrick, but I have inform you I broke one of your parts. The IP cowling wouldn't release from the mold, something reacted to the rubber...I as carefully as I could pried the part out of the rubber, but the protruding section (part under the HUD bracket )stayed behind. It is an easy fix, but I hate anything to happen to your parts. HOWEVER, I was able to get a good casting from the mold and after removing the "slag" from the torn rubber, It is usable for a new mold.

20 minutes ago, Harold said:

Thanks Patrick, but I have inform you I broke one of your parts. The IP cowling wouldn't release from the mold, something reacted to the rubber...I as carefully as I could pried the part out of the rubber, but the protruding section (part under the HUD bracket )stayed behind. It is an easy fix, but I hate anything to happen to your parts. HOWEVER, I was able to get a good casting from the mold and after removing the "slag" from the torn rubber, It is usable for a new mold.

Not a problem !!! Thank you for all the effort !!!

A little more photo recon revealed an access panel that shouldn't be.. so have to fill, too bad I didn't notice until after I opened all the fastener holes for photo-etched parts, well at least I didn't glue all those in .... this panel is only on the left side of the cockpit.

Ca3Ht8J.jpg

Edited by patricksparks

1 hour ago, A-10LOADER said:

HobbyBoss and Trumpter are know for mirroring things. If there's something on one side it has to be on the other. This isn't always the case. Trumpeter's A-4M is a good example of this.

Excellent work so far on the Harrier, keep it up.

Steve

I think this kit was actually made from the same electronic file as the Trumpeter 1:32 Harrier, I read some build articles a while ago about the Trumpeter kit's downfalls and I've been finding the identical issues on this kit.

21 hours ago, patricksparks said:

I think this kit was actually made from the same electronic file as the Trumpeter 1:32 Harrier, I read some build articles a while ago about the Trumpeter kit's downfalls and I've been finding the identical issues on this kit.

I'm not surprised.

Steve

After looking at a ton of photos I decided to make a new intake trunk, The real Harrier's intake trunk has more of a tube shape where the front fan lives, the kit's trunk is flattened out too much where it meets the front of the engine, it's not cavernous  enough. I also had to cut the rear of the cockpit at the second vertical panel line and added new sides that are smooth all the way back to the fan not all stepped and flats the way the kit is. Also I found that the back of the front wheel well is too wide, it doesn't allow the  the forward fuselage walls to converge enough just in front of the fan, in my photos you can see the first fit where the center hub of the fan is not exposed, on the real aircraft you can see it with a bullet shaped  fairing that is attached blends into the foward fuselage(still have to make that) the second photo of the intake installed shows the diffrence with the fan exposed more and the photos of the wheel wells shows how much narrower I made it in the rear, I left the front as is and cut about a 1/4" out of the width in the back and let it taper in, if you rotate the nose gear strut up into the well it just barely clears the side walls.

HdlbxNK.jpgFqlcttP.jpgI6nt7t2.jpg97clxQ9.jpgEuDocxl.jpg9PTeMMz.jpgKLvUmtm.jpg